Kadhi Pakora Recipe - Punjabi & Spicy
Kadhi Pakora Recipe – Punjabi & Spicy – There is no standard way to make kadhi and you can find hundreds of recipes out there.
A Gujarati kadhi (popular in the state of Gujarat), Rajasthani Kadhi (from the state of Rajasthan), Punjabi kadhi pakora (from the state of Punjab), Sindhi kadhi … The list and recipes are endless. However, this spicy kadhi pakora recipe is for Spicy Punjabi Kadhi Pakora.
Kadhi Pakora Recipe is a delicious blend of cooked curd or yoghurt and gram flour (besan) with besan pakoras. It is loved by all North Indians irrespective of their age.
How to make kadhi?
The batter made with yoghurt and gram flour (besan) is cooked with spices til it thickens and cooks completely. The besan pakoras are added once this is achieved and lastly, a spicy tempering is added from the top.
The addition of besan helps to give this Spicy Punjabi Kadhi a creamy consistency. The sourness of taste is derived from the yoghurt. It is also loaded with spices like garam masala and fenugreek seeds to contribute the necessary spice heat.
Spicy Punjabi Kadhi pakora or kadhi pakoda (split Bengal gram dumplings) is a very popular Punjabi dish. My family has always said that it was usual for them to eat it in Dera Ismail Khan before partition. Hence, it is usually present on our weekly menu.
Actually, Kadhi is frequently made in households over Northern India, though styles vary greatly. For example, the Punjabis like their Kadhi thick as compared to people from Uttar Pradesh who like it to be a bit runny. Kadhi pakora is a dish prepared in Dera Ismail Khan as well and has been a regular part of our household meals.
The version below is quite close to it. Kadhi’s cooking process is divided into two parts and is easily done in parallel. The dumplings or pakode are fried while the kadhi is cooks on another burner. Go for it and remember to tell me how you fared.
Build your immunity too, click here for the recipe.
Indications for making Kadhi Pakora Recipe, Spicy Punjabi Kadhi Pakora Recipe
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Cooking Gizmos: A Wide Cooking Pot or a Pressure Cooker
- Servings: 3-4 People
Kadhi Pakora Recipe | Spicy Punjabi Kadhi Pakora Recipe
For Dumplings or Pakora
- 0.5 Cup Split Bengal Gram Flour Besan
- 6-7 tbsp Water Paani
- 1/2 tsp Salt Namak
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida Hing
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder Lal Mirch Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 1/2 inch Ginger Adrak Fresh/ Grated
- 1 Piece Onion Pyaz Small
- 1 Piece Green Chili Hari Mirch
- 0.5 Cup Vegetable Oil Tel For Frying
- 1 Cup Curd or Yogurt Dahi
- 2 Cups Water Paani
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder Haldi
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder Lal Mirch Powder
- 1.5 tbsp Ghee Save 1/2 tbsp for tempering
- 1/4 tsp Asafoetida Hing
- 1/4 tsp Mustard Seeds Rai
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds Jeera
- 3 Piece Dry Red Chilis Lal Mirch - Break into half. Save one for tempering
- 1 Piece Curry Leaves Kadi Patta 1 Sprig
- 2 Piece Green Chilies Hari Mirch
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek Seeds Methi Dana Optional
- 0.5 tsp Salt Namak
First - Make the pakoda
- Mix besan, cumin seeds and red chilli powder.
- Add onions, ginger and green chilli
- Mix with some water
- Ensure it is smooth and not lumpy
- Make them into small balls and fry the pakoda or dumplings.
- Remove to a plate
Next - Make the kadhi
- Take yoghurt or dahi in a bowl.
- Thin yogurt with water & add besan
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder & asafoetida or hing.
- Mix well into a slurry
- Ensure everything is evenly dissolved
- Heat ghee in a thick bottomed pan
- Add whole red chilies and saute
- Add mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds & one sprig of curry leaves and fry till aromatic
- Add the besan yogurt slurry to the pan
- Add sliced green chilies
- Keep stirring the slurry to avoid lumps. This is where it will start to thicken
- Reduce heat when it comes to a boil
Assemble Kadhi Pakoda
- Add pakode to the kadhi
- Simmer on low heat till the pakode absorb kadhi
- Remove from fire and temper with ghee mustard seeds and whole red chilis
- We like our pakoda to be rich and spicy. You can adjust the amount of spice and ghee according to your taste.
- If you want crisp pakoda you can add them straightway to the kadhi. And if you like soft pakoda after removing from oil soak them in a bowl of water for 1 minute. Press to remove excess water and then add to the prepared Kadhi.
- To save time, fry the pakoda when Kadhi is cooking.
FINALLY, TO SUM IT UP
Spicy Punjabi Kadhi Pakora Recipe – The options are myriad. A Gujarati kadhi (popular in the state of Gujarat), Rajasthani Kadhi (from the state of Rajasthan), Punjabi kadhi pakoda (coming from the state of Punjab), Sindhi kadhi … The list and recipes are endless. However, this kadhi pakora recipe is for Spicy Punjabi Kadhi Pakora.
Punjabi Kadhi Pakora Recipe is a delicious blend of cooked curd or yoghurt and gram flour (besan) with besan pakoras. It is loved by all North Indians irrespective of their age.
If you like this article, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #gosumitup and tag me @gosumitup. I am always happy to read your feedback and if you liked the dish or if you made the dish. 🙂
Better still, take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag us as #gosumitup
And, keep visiting us for more of such awesomeness. Do bookmark gosumitup.com into your web browser now or simply subscribe to our browser notifications.