Methi Nariyal Murgh Recipe
Methi Nariyal Murgh Recipe is really easy peasy to make. I, personally, am not really fond of adding fenugreek leaves (dried kasoori methi leaves) to butter chicken. Hence, I prefer butter chicken from Mughal Mahal which is without Kasoori Methi. However, there are purists who call butter chicken without Kasoori Methi, a blasphemy.
Hmm .. To think of it, I was actually driven to find out how kasoori methi responded with chicken outside the butter chicken environment.
Having said that, it is true that kasoori methi & chicken do compliment each other really well. In my Methi Nariyal Murgh Recipe, I am taking humble chicken & even humbler methi to another level. The twist is by cooking it in a coconut milk-based gravy.
The Methi Nariyal Murgh Recipe is absolutely aromatic and goes very well with tawa or tandoori paranthas. If you do try it, do let me know how you fared. 🙂
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Cooking Gizmos: Two thick bottomed pans
- Serves: 3
What do you need for Methi Nariyal Murgh Recipe?
|Onions||Puree’d||3 medium sized|
|Mustard Oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Ginger Garlic Paste||Fresh works best||6 (4+2) Tablespoons|
|Mustard Seeds||2 Teaspoons|
|Red Chilli Powder||1.5 Teaspoons|
|Coriander Powder||1.5 Tablespoons|
|Turmeric Powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Cumin Powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Kasoori Methi||Powder the dry leaves||1.5 Tablespoons|
|Coconut Milk||500 ml|
Method for Methi Nariyal Murgh Recipe
- Heat 4 tablespoons of mustard oil and crackle the mustard seeds. Season the oil with these till it gets aromatic.
- Add and fry onion puree for around 9 minutes or till the onions leave oil.
- Add 2 tablespoons of mustard oil to another pan.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry for 5 minutes or till their raw smell goes away.
- Add chicken to the ginger garlic paste, saute for about 5 minutes and then add it to the cooked onion paste.
- Make a paste out of powdered spices (coriander, red chilli, turmeric & cumin powders).
- Add to the chicken and fry for about 5-6 minutes till masalas are fully incorporated with the chicken.
- Add the coconut milk and bring it to boil. Once it is boiling, reduce the fire to a simmer and cook covered till the chicken is tender.
- Broil kasoori methi on a frying pan for a minute and reduce to a powder.
- Once the chicken is done, add kasoori methi to the curry and mix well.
- Check and correct salt as required.
- Garnish the finished dish with slit green chillies and serve with hot paranthas.
Visual Process of Methi Nariyal Murgh Recipe
TO SUM IT UP
Fenugreek fans will love this chicken recipe. Fenugreek seeds and leaves are packed with health benefits. If you are a lover of ‘all chicken curries’ like me, then this is one that you need to definitely try!