Fennel is an aromatic herb with both gastronomical and health benefits. Health benefits of fennel seeds are numerous. Fennel or Saunf has an important use as a spice. It also possesses a sweet taste and is chewable. So, it is chewed as a mouth freshener as well as a digestif. Fennel leaves and seeds are also used in curries in many parts of India.
Health Benefits of Fennel Seeds
- Antioxidants: The seeds curb unwanted free radical reactions in the body. They prevent many diseases that can get serious at a later stage. Some of the antioxidants in these seeds are kaempferol and quercetin. These prevent degenerative reactions. They are also useful in fighting the signs of ageing as well.
- Dietary fibres: Fennel seeds contain a good amount of dietary fibre that is essential for the body. It not only relieves one of constipation but also increases intestinal motility. The fibre content helps improve digestion in the body.
- Improving Gastric Health: Fennel has a long history of being used to treat a variety of gut and digestive problems. They are good for stomach aches, flatulence, diarrhoea, and constipation.
- Helps you lose weight: Fennel seeds can help you lose weight, by boosting metabolism. Adding a cup of fennel seed water to your diet can help you keep your weight in check.
- Regulates blood pressure: Fennel seeds are rich in dietary fibre, magnesium, and potassium. They are highly effective for the overall health of your heart. This is because these nutrients keep your blood pressure and cholesterol under control. Unregulated blood pressure and cholesterol are amongst the two top factors that lead to serious ailments such as cardiac arrests and strokes.
- Improves Brain Functioning: Fennel Seeds are rich in potassium, which stimulates electrical conduction throughout the body. Which in turn improves brain functioning and cognitive skills. It acts as a great brain booster and improves brain-based skills.
- Relieves Menstrual Pain: Fennel Seeds help in reducing menstrual pains, alleviates symptoms of menopause, shorten the length of the menstruation cycle, reduced period-related nausea due to the presence of estrogen.
- Reduces Hair fall: The antioxidants and nutrients present in Fennel Seeds strengthen the roots of your hair.
- Purify Blood: The essential oils and fibre in these seeds are very useful to flush out toxins and sludge from our bodies, thus helping to cleanse the blood and clear the skin.