Mutton Shami Kebab Recipe
Mutton Shami Kebab Recipe – This easy-to-cook shami kebab recipe is made by mutton though Shami kebabs can be made vegetarian too. It is really soft and has a perfect blend of aromatic spices.
The shami kabab are in the form of mutton patties or mutton kabab which are shallow fried in oil. This Mutton kebab is easy to prepare. It is an all-time purpose dish and can be served with any accompaniment of your choice.
Where do shami kebab come from?
Mutton Shami Kabab is found all over the Indian subcontinent. These appetisers or snacks are an integral part of Indian, Pakistani & Bangladeshi cuisines. Though it is widely believed that they are a part of the Hyderabadi cuisine.
Whatever the cuisine may be, the mutton Shami kabab are rather delicate and delicious. Mutton Shami Kebabs are a perfect snack and also a great side dish with Chicken Biryani. They are best served with onion rings, lemon and dhaniya pudina chutney.
Mutton Shami Kabab Recipe – Melt in the mouth deliciousness
There are different types of kebabs in Asian, the Middle East, and Turkey. Like other kabab Shami kabab recipe can also be made in different ways and that is quite typical to the type of cuisine.
My all-time favourites have been the ones at Wenger’s and they are now priced at a princely sum of Rs. 75 each. Having said that their size is one I have only seen at Wenger’s. The rest look quite timid as compared to these ones.
Just yesterday I decided to get my hands dirty with these and here we are with my take on making scrumptious mutton Shami kababs.
These ones beat Wengers’ Shami kababs hands down. They are flavourful, decadent and really melt in the mouth. If you disapprove of mutton, you can try these with chicken too.
Relish by themselves or with some spicy mint coriander chutney.
Indications for making Mutton Shami Kabab Recipe
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 40 minutes
- Cooking Gizmos: A Wide Cooking Pot & a Blender
- Servings: Makes 17 units
Mutton Shami Kebab Recipe
- 750 gram Mutton Mince
- 1.5 tbsp Gram Flour Besan
- 2 Piece Onions Medium-sized chopped
- 1/2 Cup Coriander leaves Fresh & chopped
- 1/4 Cup Mint leaves Fresh & chopped
- 3 Piece Green Chilies Chopped. If you want more heat add more.
- 12 Piece Almonds
- 1 Piece Egg
- 6 Piece Garlic Cloves
- 1 inch Ginger
- 6 Piece Cloves
- 1 tsp Black Peppercorns
- 1/2 Piece Mace
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon
- 6 Piece Green Cardamom
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 tsp Ghee
- 4 tbsp Vegetable Oil For frying
- Get the ingredients together. Chop onions, green chillies, mint and coriander. Wash and dry mutton.
- Heat two teaspoons of ghee in a cooking pot and add whole spices including cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon, cardamom, cumin seeds, & mace. Saute till fragrant.
- Add onions and saute till translucent.
- Add gram flour (besan) & almonds. Mix well & saute till well roasted.
- Remove the spice mixture from the fire and keep aside.
- Heat two teaspoons of ghee to the cooking pot and saute mutton mince for the Shami kabab. Add ginger, garlic & powdered spices including salt, coriander powder and red chilli powder.
- When almost done (it’ll start sticking to the cooking pot), add the reserved spice mixture and mix well. Wait till fragrant, remove from fire and let it cool.
- Add cooled & cooked mutton mince to a grinder with one egg, chopped mint, coriander, & green chilis. Blend till smooth. Remove to a bowl.
- Make round lemon sized balls with the mince and press them gently into round patties. This recipe yields approximately 17 balls (see photos).
- Take vegetable oil in a frying pan and shallow fry these patties on both sides till crisp. Be careful not to break them since they are really delicate.
- Serve with sliced onions, mint coriander chutney and lemon wedges. Enjoy!
- Besan is added for binding of the kababs. If besan is not available, simply use chana dal.
- There should not be any amount of water before blending the mutton into a paste.
- The mutton mixture can be kept in refrigerator and can be used for two to three days.
FINALLY, TO SUM IT UP
Mutton Shami Kabab Recipe – These soft, melt in the mouth, pan-fried kebabs that are made with either mutton, lamb or even chicken along with besan (chickpea flour) and served with a squeeze of lemon juice and small portion of chutney and some pickled onions! Awesome … They make a perfect snack or appetiser for anytime!
If you like this article, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #gosumitup and tag me @gosumitup. I am always happy to read your feedback and if you liked the dish or if you made the dish. :)
Better still, take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag us as #gosumitup
And, keep visiting us for more of such awesomeness. Do bookmark gosumitup.com into your web browser now or simply subscribe to our browser notifications.