Simple Marinara Sauce Recipe - Make Marinara Sauce at Home?
This homemade simple marinara sauce offers a substantial and robust tomato flavour.
And, you need only basic pantry ingredients to make this delicious marinara sauce: good red tomatoes, an onion, few garlic cloves, dried oregano, some hot and chilly sauce (this is a cheat) and some olive oil. That’s it!
This super simple marinara sauce is an easy to make tomato marinara sauce that is perfect to top your favourite pasta or to use as a sauce layer for your homemade pizza.
I shared my recipe for homemade pizza dough yesterday, and here is the marinara sauce for it today. Happy Pizza to you. 🙂
This simple marinara sauce takes less than 30 minutes and keeps for 5 days in the fridge and freezes well! Once you start making this quick homemade marinara sauce, you’ll never buy a jar of pizza or pasta sauce or a Ragu again!
This isn’t a “master recipe” for marinara since the sauce can be so varied, but what I came up with here has a great balance.
Taste expectations from this simple marinara sauce
This super simple sauce is naturally gluten-free and vegan, and slow-simmered to develop and deliver to you the best tomato, basil and garlicky flavours.
The herbs and seasonings perfectly complement those slow-simmered rich tomato marinara flavours, without completely overpowering them.
Homemade marinara sauce is almost as fast and tastes definitely better than the best of supermarket sauces — and it’s made with everyday kitchen ingredients.
All the tricks to a bright red, lively-tasting sauce, made just as it is in the south of Italy (no butter, one onion) are in this recipe.
The ingredients are pantry staples that we always keep on hand so it’s easy to whip up. Since the ingredient list is very short, make sure to source the best quality ingredients you can find.
The Italians traditionally use San Marzano tomatoes for this sauce. San Marzano is an Italian variety of plum tomato and the standard of Italian Marinara Sauce. However, it may be a tad troublesome to find them in India. So, scout for fresh and really red and round tomatoes.
Simple Marinara Sauce Recipe - Make Marinara Sauce at Home
- Get your ingredients ready for the simple marinara sauce recipe.
- Blanch and deskin the tomatoes.
- Blend in a blender till pureed.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Add onions and cook until softened, but not browned, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, dry oregano, and chilli flakes.
- Stir to combine, and bring to boil. Add Maggi Hot and Sweet sauce now.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat, stir in roughly chopped basil leaves.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Recipe Notes - Homemade Simple Marinara Sauce Recipe
- Use a skillet instead of the usual saucepan: the water evaporates quickly, so the tomatoes are just cooked through as the sauce becomes thick.
- To get a smooth texture, it is important to blanch and peel the tomatoes.
Serving Suggestions - Homemade Simple Marinara Sauce Recipe
- Marinara Sauce is a quickly-cooked tomato sauce with bright and wonderfully complex flavours!
- It’s a staple in Italian cuisine, and delicious as a base layer of a pizza, a sauce over pasta or meatballs
- It is also fantastic as a dipping sauce even if you are having chips with it.
- You can use this sauce immediately.
- To store: Let it cool to room temperature and store in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to a week, or freeze up to 6 months.
FINALLY, TO SUM IT UP
This Homemade Simple Marinara Sauce is a quickly-cooked tomato sauce with bright and wonderfully complex flavours. It is a basic tomato sauce to be enjoyed as is or as a base in many other recipes like pizza or pasta or even fries.
While the tomatoes remain dominant, the ubiquitous onion and garlic—add nice undertones, as do the additional seasonings like chilli flakes, oregano, and basil.
If you like this article, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #gosumitup and tag me @gosumitup. I am always happy to read your feedback and if you liked the dish or if you made the dish. 🙂
Better still, take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag us as #gosumitup
And, keep visiting us for more of such awesomeness. Do bookmark gosumitup.com into your web browser now or simply subscribe to our browser notifications.