Mustard Powder - Homemade Mustard Powder from Yellow Mustard Seeds
Mustard Powder - Homemade Mustard Powder from Yellow Mustard Seeds - You can use this mustard powder in your Sandwiches, Wraps, Burgers. You can even use it to make Pickles, Chutney, Salad Dressing, Mayonnaise, Vinaigrette or Barbecue Sauce.
- 1 cup Yellow Mustard Seeds
- 0.25 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
Toast your yellow mustard seeds for 20 seconds in a dry skillet.
Cool the seeds, then transfer to a spice or coffee grinder and pulse until you have a powder.
Pass the powder through a sieve to remove the hulls.
Blend a pinch or two of turmeric or saffron with the mustard to create the bright yellow associated with the condiment.
- You can make this without turmeric or saffron, however, the colour will not be as yellow.
- Whole seeds have little aroma, and have to be ground and activated with water for the flavours to awaken and bloom.
- Mix with flour to create a Ground Mustard Flour to use as a preservative in pickling and chutney recipes.
- Added with herbs like tarragon, basil or mint for a cool flavour.
- Blend with water prior to adding to recipes or even mix with other spices like pepper or chiles.