Rhun is one of the smallest islands of the Banda Islands, which are a part of the Moluccas, Indonesia. It is located within Banda sub district in Central Maluku Regency.
In 1616, fearing the Dutch, the natives of the island pledged their allegiance to the employees of English East India Company, who accepted it on behalf of the Crown.
Rhun Island is the westernmost island of the Banda Islands, with a length of 3 kilometres (1.9 mi) and width of 1 kilometre (0.62 mi).
Banda Naira is connected by sea and air transport to Ambon. Bandanaira airport is one of the smaller airports in Indonesia, used mainly by administrative staff or by tourists who visit Banda Islands for the snorkeling and diving opportunities in the region.
What are the things to do on Rhun Island, Maluku?
- Enjoy the vibrant natural landscapes of pristine beaches and tropical forests.
- Visit the historical footnote known as Iron House.
- You can also rent a boat to go fishing.
- Visit Pulau Nailaka, an islet so small on the eastern of Rhun that you can walk it in 10 minutes.
- Visit the Fort Swan and Fort Defence then enjoy superb snorkelling on or diving from white sand beaches. Visit the old Dutch plantation called El Dorado.
Where can I Stay at Run Island, Maluku?
There are a handful of local homestays and guesthouses on the island.