Chail Military School was named King George Royal Indian Military School after King George V.
After the First World War, in February 1922 the foundation stone of the school was laid and regular classes were started in September 1925 at Jalandhar Cant in Punjab.
During the Second World War, the school was designated as College. At that time, College was affiliated with the Punjab University for matriculation and intermediate examinations.
This institution produced a large number of Officers. After independence, it was felt that these schools should impart liberal education and should have a wider social basis.
The King George Royal Indian Military College was renamed King George’s School and shifted to Nowgong (Bundelkhand) in August 1952 where it was housed in ‘Old Kitchener College buildings.
The King George’s School was relocated to its current location in Chail in Himachal Pradesh on July 1, 1960. It was renamed to Chail Military School, Chail.
In 2007, Chail Military School along with its sister institutes Bangalore Military School (Karnataka), Belgaum Military School (Karnataka), Ajmer Military School (Rajasthan) and Dholpur Military School (Rajasthan) were renamed as Rashtriya Military Schools of India.