Makhana | Benefits of Makhana - The Best Guilt-Free Snack
Makhana is small crispy and crunchy little snacks. Much like popcorn, these are deliciously light but much healthier. These seeds are generally eaten after being roasted.
These seeds are often used in quite a few Indian sweets and savouries like kheer, raita or makhana curry, and are also eaten as an evening tea-time snack.
Makhanas come from a plant called Euryale Fox that grows in the stagnant water of wetlands or ponds in Eastern Asia. They have been used in Chinese medicine since 3000 years and find an important place in the science of Ayurveda too.
Makhana | Benefits of Makhana – The Best Guilt-Free Snack
Makhana plays a significant role as a “fasting” food in India. It is low in cholesterol and sodium and has many more health benefits making it an ideal fasting food as compared to dried fruits and nuts.
Makhanas are quite low in calories, which is why they have become so popular as evening weight loss snacks, which you can munch on happily.
Makhanas are rich in good carbohydrates and proteins. They are also gluten-free and contain a flavonoid called kaempferol, which has anti-inflammatory and anti-ageing properties.
They are also high in magnesium, which is important for heart health and also the regulation of levels of calcium, potassium and sodium in the blood.
Although fox nuts are rich in carbohydrates, their glycaemic index is significantly lower than foods like rice, bread, etc. Makhanas are also rich in iron, which is important for haemoglobin formation in the blood and for optimum transportation of oxygen (through the blood).
Culinary Applications of Makhana or Lotus Seeds
Makhana is a food item for the religious fast of various people. Popped Makhana is used in the preparation of a number of delicious and rich sweet dishes, pudding and milk-based sweets.
Apart from these, Makhana is used for medicinal purposes as well, both in India and China as documented in the ancient literature. The seed is analgesic and aphrodisiac, hence used in the preparations of a number of Ayurvedic medicines.
Many of the cookies out there contain artificial sweeteners and food colours. However, Fox nut chocolate cookies are made from natural ingredients; therefore, they are favourable snacks for kids.
They are gluten-free, which means they do not have any harmful effect on people with allergies. The fact that the snack is also non-GMO makes it an excellent choice for better health.
Health Benefits of Makhana or Fox Nuts
Makhana has low-fat content, high contents of carbohydrates, protein and minerals. The amino acid index of the seed is higher than in staple foods, which signifies its unique food quality benefits of makhana.
- One of the most important benefits of makhana is diabetes control. Diabetes is a metabolic disorder, which is accompanied by high blood glucose levels. It is a result of improper functioning of the pancreas, which secretes the insulin hormone. Fox nut is a sweet and sour seed. These seeds contain starch and protein which is excellent for diabetes.
- Makhana is rich in antioxidants that work as an age lock system and makes us younger for much longer. Makhana is effective for individuals with a high risk of premature ageing, premature white hairs, wrinkles and other signs of ageing.
- Lotus seed increases quality and quantity of semen, prevents premature ejaculation, increases libido and helps in female infertility. It strengthens the body and increases energy levels.
- Makhana seeds benefit the spleen, kidney, and heart. The seed also has calming properties that alleviate restlessness, palpitations, and insomnia.
- It relieves numbness and aching near the waist and knees. It is suitable for arthritis, helps to fight impotency and premature ageing.
- Makhana is used as a tonic and for the treatment of leucorrhoea and good immunostimulant.
- The seeds contain a sufficient amount of vitamins so, used to treat beriberi, a disease caused by the deficiency of Vitamin B110.
- This herb has antioxidant properties and helps in digestion, rejuvenates respiratory system and prevents frequent urination.
- Euryale ferox seed is consumed medicinally or for food in China. The study on Makhana revealed it to contain significant antioxidant activity, which may be associated with its medical applications as a proteinuria inhibitor of diabetic nephropathy.
- It also helps your respiratory system, veins and digestion. Popped Makhana contains almost 12% of protein (excellent especially for vegetarians) It reverses the ageing process over a period of time.
Fox Nut or Makhana Cookies
- Grind makhana and mix it with the all-purpose flour. Set aside
- Mix butter and granulated sugar till well-combined
- Add baking powder & cocoa powder to this mixture.
- Combine makhana & cocoa powder mixtures together.
- Shape the dough into cookies.
- Pre-heated your oven to a temperature of 180 degrees Celsius.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
If you like this article, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #gosumitup and tag me @gosumitup. I am always happy to read your feedback and if you liked the dish or if you made the dish. 🙂
Better still, take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag us as #gosumitup
And, keep visiting us for more of such awesomeness. Do bookmark gosumitup.com into your web browser now or simply subscribe to our browser notifications.