Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe - How to Make Pizza Dough at Home?
I can’t say enough amazing things about this homemade pizza dough recipe. It produces the most perfect pizza crust. The texture is chewy in the centre and crispy on the outside. And that’s the way we like it!
I am listing this as a homemade pizza dough recipe because the toppings are really up to your preference. Once you get the dough down, you can make any combination your heart desires!
Pizza dough or crust, like homemade bagels, artisan bread, and focaccia, require a lean dough. A lean dough doesn’t use eggs or butter. Without the extra fat to make the pizza dough soft, you’re promised a crusty pizza crust.
Follow these basic instructions for a thick or thin (depends on how you roll it), crisp, nice and chewy pizza at homemade with a homemade pizza dough recipe. it might be a good idea to give pizza delivery a break and enjoy making pizzas as a family.
Making homemade pizza dough is easy! All you need is a few ingredients to turn your kitchen into the best pizzeria in town.
Homemade Pizza Dough Secret is in the Recipe
The secret is in how much flour you add to the dough. The toppings are really up to your preference. Pre-measure and prepare your ingredients for easy access.
Start by activating your yeast even if you are using instant yeast. For the best results, yeast needs to mix with slightly warm (not hot) water and a little sugar to activate it. Allow it to foam for at least 10 minutes before continuing on.
Next, add the maida or all-purpose flour and mix thoroughly. Once mixed, knead it for a few minutes. Then, dump the kneaded dough into a well-oiled bowl and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap.
Set in the fridge for 2 hours to let it rise. Once it has risen, remove it from the bowl and roll it out to your desired thickness. Add your toppings and bake!
The homemade pizza dough recipe is one of those things that is so easy to make, it’s a shame to buy readymade pizza bases.
What Is The Best Flour to Use in Pizza Dough?
Maida (refined flour) or all-purpose flour works best. However, most pizza chefs tend to use bread flour. Why? Bread flour has a higher gluten content, meaning it is more springy and easier to work with. It also gives the pizza a nice, crispy crust.
Can I Store This Homemade Pizza Dough?
Of course, you can. Simply place in a resealable plastic bag and freeze. When ready to use, thaw in the fridge overnight and let sit at room temperature for about an hour before using. Use it within a week and you won’t be disappointed.
Active Versus Instant Yeast
If you are using active yeast, add yeast water and honey/sugar and mix well. Use it when it starts frothing. Active yeast usually takes twice the time instant yeast takes. For instant yeast, use the same process but the result will be much quicker.
Vegan Pizza Dough
The homemade pizza dough itself is vegan…so you can make some pretty amazing vegan pizzas out of this delicious recipe. The possibilities are endless.
This Homemade Pizza Dough recipe uses six (6) readily available ingredients like water, flour, yeast, vegetable oil, sugar and salt. This foolproof dough makes for a chewy pizza crust with just the right amount of crispiness. Let’s go ahead and make it. A Very Happy Pizza to you. 🙂
- 1 cup Warm Water
- 1 tablespoon Honey or Granulated Sugar
- 3 tablespoon Vegetable Oil (you can use Olive Oil too)
- 1 tablespoon Instant Yeast
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 3 cup Maida or Refined Flour
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the water, honey and yeast. Allow the mixture to sit for a few minutes until frothy. Add in the vegetable oil.
- In a bowl, combine the flour and the salt. Add the flour to the yeast mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well between additions.
- Continue adding the flour until the dough can be pulled away from the sides of the bowl with a spatula, but the dough will still be quite sticky.
- You may need to add in a little bit more or less flour, but the key is to remember that the dough will still be sticky and will stick to your fingers when you try to pull it apart.
- Grease a large bowl, then scrape the dough into the bowl.
- Turn the dough to coat it in oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a towel and a let the dough rise at room temperature until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Turn the dough out onto a well-floured work surface.
- Pull the dough around to the bottom, stretching it to create a smooth ball. Cut the dough into 3 equal portions.
- Roll out the dough to use in your favorite pizza recipe, or refrigerate until needed.
- To bake, preheat a pizza stone in the oven as hot as you can go for at least 30 minutes. (I usually go between 475ºF and 500ºF.)
- Prepare your pizza with your desired toppings and bake until the crust is golden, 8-10 minutes.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Calories: 130
Keywords: Homemade Pizza Dough, Pizza Dough
Recipe Notes - Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe
- Make the dough a couple of hours before you need it and just refrigerate the dough until needed.
- It is essential to let the dough rest after kneading for it to rise.
- Ensure the yeast activates well before adding it.
- Rub the bowl with some vegetable oil before placing the dough in it.
FINALLY, TO SUM IT UP
This Homemade Pizza Dough recipe uses six (6) readily available ingredients like water, flour, yeast, vegetable oil, sugar and salt. This foolproof dough makes for a chewy pizza crust with just the right amount of crispiness. Let’s go ahead and make it. A Very Happy Pizza to you. :)
If you like this article, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #gosumitup and tag me @gosumitup. I am always happy to read your feedback and if you liked the dish or if you made the dish. :)
Better still, take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag us as #gosumitup
And, keep visiting us for more of such awesomeness. Do bookmark gosumitup.com into your web browser now or simply subscribe to our browser notifications.