Aloo gobi ki sabzi with a dash of tomatoes is simply delicious and irresistible. This North Indian or actually Punjabi aloo gobi ki sabzi recipe is about making a flavorful dry vegetarian dish with potatoes, cauliflower and some tangy tomatoes. Every home has its own version and choice of spices to make it.
Aloo gobhi is a very healthy side dish and goes well with all kinds of curries, raita and dal.
This potato-cauliflower dry preparation tastes divine with paranthas and puris. Here is an easy aloo gobi recipe that will give you the best taste of this delicious vegetarian preparation. The best part of this recipe is that it suits almost everyone. It is a vegan gluten-free, soy-free and a nut-free recipe.
The recipe for aloo gobi, process or spices varies slightly by region and of course the family. The everyday home-cooked version is usually a dryish seasonal vegetable or sabzi.
Not all Indian dishes (even if they are called curries) have a sauce. The dry ones are actually called a subzi or sabzi. While aloo gobi is a dry vegetable variant, restaurants outside India might make it into a curried/saucy dish.
Aloo Gobi is a very classic North Indian dish that translates into potatoes and cauliflower (English version). It’s a one-pot, super simple, comforting dish that’s ready in 30 minutes flat. Full of flavour, you’ll be making it every night. Although it is Punjabi, it is popular not only throughout India but also in Nepal and Pakistan.
Its key ingredients other than potatoes and cauliflower are onions, one simple tomato and a variety of spices, which are all slowly simmered and usually served with rice, bread, chutneys, or a cucumber salad. While most people don’t, I usually add kasoori methi to my dish and it makes the taste a long lingering one.
The cauliflower florets need cautious cleaning because of a possible presence of tiny green worms. This aloo gobi ki sabzi recipe is highly loaded with the nutritional content and tops in the menu during the wedding and party occasions.
RECIPE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ALOO GOBI KI SABZI
|Cooking Tools Recommended||Recommended Ingredients|
Aloo Gobi ki Sabzi Recipe | Spiced Potatoes with Cauliflower
- 4 Piece Potatoes (Aloo) 4 Large or 7 Medium, Cut into cubes of an inch
- 1 Piece Cauliflower (Gobi) Cut into small florets
- 0.25 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Seeds (Sookha Dhaniya) Dry & crushed
- 1 Piece Onions (Pyaz) Medium; Sliced lengthwise
- 1 Piece Tomato (Tamatar) Sliced lengthwise
- 1 Tablespoon Ginger (Adrak) Finely chopped
- 0.25 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi)
- 0.25 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch) Optional
- 0.5 Teaspoon Cumin Powder (Jeera)
- 0.5 Teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander Leaves (Dhaniya Patta) Fresh and chopped
- 0.25 Teaspoon Salt (Namak)
- Get your ingredients ready.
- Take a clean thick bottomed pan and heat ghee. Use any vegetable oil if going vegan.
- Add jeera (cumin seeds), pounded sookha dhaniya (coriander seeds) and hing (asafoetida).
- Once they crackle add sliced onions and ginger and fry for a minute.
- Add cut potatoes and cauliflower florets.
- Add the solitary tomato and mix gently.
- Mix cumin, red chilli (if going spicy) and turmeric powders and stir for another minute.
- Add the salt and mix well. Check the dish for seasoning.
- Finally, add garam masala and crushed kasoori methi for a robust flavour.
- Mix well and remove from the flame.
- Garnish with fresh, chopped coriander leaves and serve hot
- You may want to add some lemon juice at the last mix to make it tangy.
- If you want it crispy, deep fry the vegetables for more crunch.
- You can vary the spice levels to your and family's taste.
You can serve aloo gobi without any accompaniment and can have it as any kind of meal. You can even stuff the leftover aloo gobi from a meal and make it into a healthy sandwich. You can even stuff these into a parantha and have them for breakfast.
The following dips will come in handy for your sandwich, or with a stuffed parantha if you like:
GO VEGAN WITH THIS ALOO GOBHI SUBZI
Simply replace the ghee with Canola or Mustard Oil or with any other vegetable oils that you prefer and you are good to go with this amazing spicy potatoes recipe.
TO SUM IT UP
Aloo Gobi is a very classic North Indian dish that translates into potatoes and cauliflower (English version). Aloo Gobi ki Sabzi is a one-pot, super simple, comforting dish that’s ready in 30 minutes flat. The best part – It is a vegan, gluten-free, soy-free and a nut-free subzi.
If you like this aloo gobi recipe, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #gosumitup and tag me @gosumitup. I am always happy to read your feedback and if you liked the dish or if you made the dish. :)
Better still, take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag us as #gosumitup
And, keep visiting us for more of such awesomeness. Do bookmark gosumitup.com into your web browser now.