Chaman Kaliya Recipe, Kashmiri Paneer Kaliya Recipe
Kashmiri cuisine is primarily meat-based. Vegetarian food though present perhaps is not in a great deal of variety as in other parts of India. For vegetarians, a dish that stands out is Chaman Kaliya. It is Paneer (Cottage Cheese) cooked in aromatic spices and served with rice.
Kashmiri vegetarian (and non-vegetarian) food includes local vegetables and fruits like spinach or greens (Haak), turnips, radish, lotus stem (nadir), brinjals, plums, apricots, green apples etc.
Kashmiri cuisine is greatly influenced by Persian, Afghani and Central Asian cuisines. It is also broadly divided into Hindu Kashmiri Pandit style of cooking and Muslim style of cooking. Both differ greatly from one another.
I recently did a Kashmiri meal for friends and had selected paneer kaliya recipe or Paneer/ Indian Milk Cheese In Yellow Gravy to go with other dishes. Chaman Kaliya is quite fragrant owing its fragrance to ground cardamom and fennel. It is reasonably easy to make too.
Chaman Kaliya Recipe or Paneer Kaliya or Cottage Cheese in Yellow Gravy Kashmiri Style
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- Cooking Gizmos: Sauce Pan
- Serves: 2-3
Stuff you need for Chaman Kaliya Recipe or Cottage Cheese in Yellow Gravy Kashmiri Style
Salt To Taste
|what goes in?||what kinds?||how much?|
|Chaman/ Cottage Cheese/ Paneer||Cut in rectangles or cubes||200 gms|
|Vegetable oil||For frying||4 Tablespoons|
|Heeng (Asafoetida)||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Haldi (Turmeric)||1 Teaspoon|
|Saunth (Dried Ginger)||1 Teaspoon|
|Saunf (Fennel)||Ground||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Bay Leaves||2 No.|
|Badi Ilaichi (Black Cardamom)||1 No.|
|Bay Leaves||2 No.|
|Choti Ilaichi (Green Cardamom)||Powdered||3 No.|
|Garam Masala||1/2 Tablespoon|
The Process to make Chaman Kaliya Recipe or Cottage Cheese in Yellow Gravy Kashmiri Style
- Cut fresh paneer into rectangles or squares. If you are using packaged paneer soak it in hot milk for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Fry paneer in batches of four on both sides till golden brown.
- Take another saucepan and add 1 cup of water to it.
- Add all spices to water with powder of one choti elaichi (green cardamom).
- Add fried paneer to this mixture and boil for about 15 minutes.
- Add the remaining choti elaichi and milk. Bring it to a boil.
- After boiling for 2-3 minutes, let it simmer for around 10-15 minutes.
- Once the gravy looks slightly thickened, remove Chaman Kaliya from the fire.
- Adjust the salt to your taste.
- Top up with a tablespoon of ghee and some garam masala and let Chaman Kaliya rest so that the flavour gets infused properly.
- To serve gently warm up Chaman Kaliya and plate immediately.
- You can serve Paneer Kaliya with steamed or saffron rice and muji chetini. 🙂