HEALTH BENEFITS OF FENNEL SEEDS | HEALTH BENEFITS OF SAUNF
Health Benefits of Fennel Seeds or Saunf are plenty. Fennel is an aromatic herb with both gastronomical and health benefits. Health benefits of fennel seeds are numerous. Apart from its health benefits saunf has an important use as a spice.
It also possesses a sweet taste and is chewable. So, it is chewed as a mouth freshener as well as a digestif.
Apart from its health benefits fennel seeds and leaves are also used in curries in many parts of India.
India’s romance with fennel needs no introduction. The seed spice dominates a variety of Indian culinary preparations in whole as well as fennel powder forms.
Did you know that India happens to be the largest exporter of fennel seeds, widely known as saunf?
A common practice in most Indian households is to have a few fennel seeds or saunf at the end of every meal.
Fennel is a versatile ingredient in cooking because it can be used as a herb, spice, or vegetable. Some culinary uses of fennel are:
- fennel seeds are used in baking, particularly in rye bread and sweet pastries.
- in Italy, they are often used to make sausages.
- In India, fennel seeds are one of the ingredients of the common Bengali cuisine spice blend panch phoran, which also contains mustard and fenugreek seeds and cumin.
- Fennel seeds and fennel powder is used in various curries of Kashmiri cuisine.
Interestingly, apart from health only, fennel even has uses outside of the kitchen.
In medieval times, people believed that fennel could ward off evil spirits, so they hung fennel over doorways. So, apart of just culinary and health benefits of fennel seeds, there are reasons for spiritual wellbeing as well.
Fennel has distinct anise or liquorice flavour. Fennel is often mistakenly sold at international supermarkets labelled as anise due to their similar flavour and aroma.
Fennel Seeds – The yellow flowers of the fennel plant produce small, comma-shaped, greenish seeds. After they are collected from the plant, they are stored in a cool, dry, dark area of the kitchen.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF FENNEL SEEDS OR SAUNF
- Antioxidants: health benefits of fennel seeds curb unwanted free radical reactions in the body. They prevent many diseases that can get serious at a later stage. Some of the antioxidants in these seeds are kaempferol and quercetin. These prevent degenerative reactions. They are also useful in fighting the signs of ageing as well.
- Dietary fibres: Fennel seeds contain a good amount of dietary fibre that is essential for the body. It not only relieves one of constipation but also increases intestinal motility. The fibre content helps improve digestion in the body.
- Health benefits of saunf in improving Gastric Health: Fennel has a long history of being used to treat a variety of gut and digestive problems. They are good for stomach aches, flatulence, diarrhoea, and constipation.
- Health benefits of saunf in losing weight: Fennel seeds can help you lose weight, by boosting metabolism. Adding a cup of fennel seed water to your diet can help you keep your weight in check. This is one of the major health benefits of fennel seeds.
- Health benefits of saunf in regulating blood pressure: Fennel seeds are rich in dietary fibre, magnesium, and potassium. Health benefits of fennel seeds are highly effective for the overall health of your heart. This is because these nutrients keep your blood pressure and cholesterol under control. Unregulated blood pressure and cholesterol are amongst the two top factors that lead to serious ailments such as cardiac arrests and strokes.
- Health benefits of saunf in improving brain functioning: Fennel Seeds are rich in potassium, which stimulates electrical conduction throughout the body. Which in turn improves brain functioning and cognitive skills. It acts as a great brain booster and improves brain-based skills.
- Relieves Menstrual Pain: Fennel Seeds help in reducing menstrual pains, alleviates symptoms of menopause, shorten the length of the menstruation cycle, reduced period-related nausea due to the presence of oestrogen.
- Reduces Hair fall: The antioxidants and nutrients present in fennel powder & seeds strengthen the roots of your hair.
- Health benefits of saunf in purifying Blood: last but not the least, health benefits of fennel seeds and through the essential oils and fibre that are very useful to flush out toxins and sludge from our bodies, thus helping to cleanse the blood and clear the skin.
Health benefits of fennel help in improving overall immunity: Fennel has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral properties. These health benefits of fennel seeds help to improve your overall immunity. They keep you safe from bacterial infections, fever, cold and other common ailments.
Consumers of fennel seeds don’t fall sick often. Kaempferol and quercetin are two powerful antioxidants in fennel powder.
They can provide you with quick recovery from wounds and injuries, and reduce further inflammation.
In the end, it is quite easy to relate to the health benefits of saunf or fennel seeds. It is as wonderful as cumin seeds for its culinary uses too.
Fennel - How to make Fennel Powder? Homemade Saunf Powder Recipe
- 500 gram Fennel Seeds 500 grams is 2 Cups
- 1 tbsp White granulated sugar
- Put a non-stick frying pan on the flame.
- Maintain the heat on medium.
- Add half of the fennel seeds (1 cup) to the heated pan.
- Dry roast the saunf stirring regularly till fragrant.
- When the fennel seeds pod starts giving out its aroma.
- Get them off the pan. Repeat with the other half.
- Cool them down completely then transfer to a clean mixer-grinder dry grinder jar.
- Grind to a fine powder (this may take up to two iterations).
- Store in an airtight container, preferably a glass container.
- Addition of sugar in each fennel seeds batch makes a very smooth powder.
- Grind fennel into fennel powder twice for better smoothness.
What is fennel powder used for?
Fennel powder (Saunf powder) is used in the treatment of diabetes, bacterial infections, sore throat, painful periods, anxiety and liver disorders. It improves digestion, reduces gas formation and gives relief from abdominal discomfort.
Saunf or fennel seed powder contains essential oil which is responsible for its excellent flavour and aroma.
What Does Fennel Taste Like?
“Anise-flavored” is the term used most often to describe fennel’s flavour. People confuse fennel and anise because their flavours are similar, but they are totally different plants. In fact, fresh fennel’s anise factor is delicate and mild.
MORE INDIAN SPICES & THEIR BENEFITS
- Health Benefits of Cloves | The Strong Bitter Sweet Spice
- Health Benefits of Cardamom | The Citrusy & Peppery Spice
- Health Benefits of Fenugreek Seeds or Methi Dana
- Health Benefits of Coriander Seeds or Sookha Dhaniya
- Health Benefits of Cumin Seeds or Jeera
- Health Benefits of Ajwain or Carom Seeds
- Health Benefits of Turmeric | Delicious & Rejuvenating
- Health Benefits of Garlic – Lehsun Ke Fayade
FINALLY, TO SUM IT UP
Health benefits of saunf help in improving overall immunity: Fennel has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral properties. These health benefits of fennel seeds help to improve your overall immunity.
They keep you safe from bacterial infections, fever, cold and other common ailments. The easiest way of incorporating fennel in your diet is by chewing it daily or using homemade roasted fennel powder or saunf powder in your dishes.
If you like this article, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #gosumitup and tag me @gosumitup. I am always happy to read your feedback and if you liked the dish or if you made the dish. 🙂
Better still, take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag us as #gosumitup
And, keep visiting us for more of such awesomeness. Do bookmark gosumitup.com into your web browser now or simply subscribe to our browser notifications.