Aloo Khada Masala Recipe - Masala Aloo or Spicy Potatoes with Whole Spices
Aloo Khada Masala Recipe – Spicy Potatoes with Whole Spices – After a hard day at work there’s nothing like coming back home to soul food. For me that’s absolutely basic homemade Indian food or ghar ka khana. Hot roti’s with ghee, dal, aloo ki sabzi and a bowl full of yoghurt.
Nothing and I mean nothing comes close to the happiness this simple meal gives my stomach. And Aloo Khada Masala is a delighter.
Masala Aloo is a common but by no means generic dish that gives company to any combination of food. Aloo khada masala translates into spicy potatoes recipe with freshly ground spices.
What is Aloo Masala?
Aloo Masala is one of the best vegetable dishes — inexpensive, quick and delicious. It’s a pleasure to add to your bouquet as a home cook. The key to these potatoes slightly overcooked potatoes and not oil.
Overcooking potatoes just slightly makes them tender, and they are still able to hold enough moisture.
When you drop them into the hot pan, they break up and meld into the sautéed masala mix, becoming almost indistinguishable from it.
Though aloo masala is great with a hot paratha, it’s a versatile dish that can also work as a side with other meals.
Aloo Khada Masala Recipe – Refreshingly Simple & Spicy Potatoes
Aloo Khada Masala recipe is made with Potatoes and whole spices and some powdered ones. It is one of my all-time favourites. Masala Aloo is a fine motley of umpteen, authentic spices finely sautéed with potatoes and onions.
You can have these for a major meal or a simple, spicy snack. Furthermore, the recipe is fairly simple to make and is quite nutritious.
Potatoes, who doesn’t love them? It is the absolute basic ingredient across cuisines in the world. In India, it is difficult to find a home where potatoes are not transformed into sweet-smelling and delicious fries, mash or curry.
Politically, the price rise of potatoes has the potential to topple governments. This has several past precedents.
The love for potatoes is in the blood of Indians. Potatoes are a singular “foreign invasion” that has successfully ruled India since the early 17th century when potatoes or ‘batata‘ were introduced in India by the Portuguese.
Potatoes are highly nutritious, easily digestible, wholesome food containing carbohydrates, proteins, minerals, vitamins and high-quality dietary fibre. Potatoes provide more nutrition than cereals and vegetables.
There’s nothing like coming back home to home-cooked soul food. For me, that’s absolutely basic and simple Indian food or Ghar ka khana. When one is short on thoughts about what to make, this masala aloo recipe always works.
Let’s see what goes into the making of this deliciousness – the Aloo Khada Masala Recipe.
Potatoes absorb most flavours beautifully, go with any vegetable most amicably and you need to work really hard to make a potato taste REALLY BAD! Try this super simple spicy potatoes recipe and you will LOVE how it turns out.
These potatoes with whole spices fit right under 15-minute meals if your potatoes are already boiled. If not, just add another 10 minutes to the process. You can also use baby potatoes in this recipe. The advantage being you can just boil them whole without peeling them.
The recipe is very easy to cook and no-fuss. You simply have to heat oil and fry dry whole spices and onion until it is golden brown. Then you throw in the potatoes and let the flavours get absorbed. Once done, simply drop some coriander leaves, amchur and lemon juice over it and you are all done.
RECIPE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ALOO KHADA MASALA
|Cooking Tools Recommended||Recommended Ingredients|
Aloo Khada Masala or Masala Aloo - Refreshingly Simple & Spicy Potatoes Recipe
- 4 pieces Potatoes (Aloo) 4 Large or 7 Medium
- 1 Tablespoon Clarified Butter (Ghee)
- 0.5 Teaspoon Asafoetida (Hing)
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds (Jeera)
- 0.5 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds (Saunf)
- 1 Tablespoon Coriander Seeds (Sookha Dhaniya)
- 0.25 Teaspoon Sesame Seeds (Safed Til)
- 0.25 Cup Green Coriander (Hara Dhaniya) Roughly chopped
- 4 No. Green Chillies (Hari Mirch) Finely chopped
- 2 No. Onions (Pyaaz) Medium Sized; Sliced lengthwise
- 0.5 Teaspoon Dry Mango Powder (Amchur)
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Powder (Dhaniya Powder)
- 0.5 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (Haldi Powder)
- 0.5 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder (Lal Mirch Powder)
- 1 No. Lemon Juice (Nimboo Ras)
- 0.5 Teaspoon Salt (Namak) Use to your taste
- Get your ingredients ready.
- Take a clean thick bottomed pan and heat ghee. Use any vegetable oil if going vegan.
- Add jeera (cumin seeds), saunf (fennel seeds), sookha dhaniya (coriander seeds) and hing (asafoetida).
- Once they crackle add grated onions (pyaaz) and fry for a minute.
- Add coriander, red chilli and turmeric powders and stir for another minute.
- Break boiled aloo (potatoes) with your hands or divide them into six parts each and add to the masala.
- Add salt and mix well. Check the dish for seasoning.
- In the end, add amchur (dry mango powder), nimboo ras (lemon juice).
- Mix well and remove from the flame.
- Serve Aloo Khada Masala or Masala Aloo - Refreshingly Simple & Spicy Potatoes hot
You can serve aloo khada masala without any accompaniment. They are spicy and tangy by themselves. However you may want to pair them with any of the following dips:
If there are any leftover potatoes, which I doubt there will be, simply mash them up and use them as a stuffing for your breakfast or lunch of aloo parantha.
GO VEGAN WITH ALOO KHADA MASALA
Simply replace the ghee with Canola or Mustard Oil or with any other vegetable oils that you prefer and you are good to go with this amazing masala aloo or spicy potatoes recipe.
TO SUM IT UP
Aloo Khada Masala recipe or Potatoes with whole spices and some powdered are one of my all-time favourites.
You can have these masala aloo for a major meal or a simple, spicy snack. Furthermore, the recipe is fairly simple to make and is quite nutritious.
If you like this recipe, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #gosumitup and tag me @gosumitup. I am always happy to read your feedback and if you liked the dish or if you made the dish. 🙂
And, keep visiting us for more of such awesomeness. Bookmark gosumitup.com into your web browser now.