Easy Homemade Chicken Liver Pate Recipe
Chicken Liver Pate Recipe or Chicken Liver Pâté is dangerously easy, inexpensive and luxurious. Easy chicken liver pâté is made with butter, onions, garlic, brandy, and thyme. It is blended smooth to spread on bread or crackers. Also known as foie gras — it may look atrocious to you, but it tastes really great!
Delicious Chicken Liver Pâté
I have always had a great fetish for chicken liver. When a whole chicken is cooked, I usually go hunting for the chicken liver first before hitting on other pieces. While we can do chicken liver fry in lip-smacking Indian masala style, a chicken liver pâté takes this humble organ to a completely different level.
In fact, this is one of those instances where you pity the fool who refuses to eat something because it doesn’t look appetizing. And then you’re secretly happy because that means there’s more for you.
Famous Chicken Liver Pâté in Delhi
I have always loved eating the buttery chicken liver pâté at Basil & Thyme restaurant in New Delhi and have not been able to easily resist this magic of elegant smooth velvet.
Just as I was getting ready to play host to a few friends, on an impulse I asked my meat supplier to pack a lot of chicken livers with other goodies he was getting set to deliver.
The liver came in with other meats and all forgotten sat pretty in the freezer while the other stuff got cooked. I discovered the package only a week later and immediately started craving for a chicken liver pâté.
A little research on the internet and a few tweaks in my mind got me working to get the chicken liver pate on its way.
Foie gras or fatty liver was usually made with duck or goose liver fattened through a labour-intensive force-feeding process known as gavage.
In 2006 Chicago became the first city in the United States to enact a ban against restaurants serving the dish, but the ban was repealed two years later.
You can have this simply as a light (really!) supper or a sandwich/cracker spread made with chicken livers. It takes less than a half-hour to prepare, and firm ups in the refrigerator in a few hours.
This great hors d’oeuvre can be made at home easily within minutes and goes very well with an array of cheese and wine. It tastes magical when smeared liberally on toasted bread or crackers of all kinds too.
The following recipe is amazingly simple and takes just minutes to make if you have all the ingredients handy.
Chicken Liver Pate Recipe or Chicken Liver Pâté
- 500 gram Chicken livers
- 10 tablespoon Butter Unsalted is better; I used salted though
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Paste
- 1 Piece Onion Medium; Sliced thinly
- 1 tablespoon Thyme Fresh is better though I used dried ones
- 1/2 tablespoon Salt
- 2 Piece Bay leaves
- 0.5 Cups Water
- 2 tablespoon Scotch I used Chivas Regal; Cognac goes well too
- 0.5 tablespoon Black pepper
- 10 drop Tabasco Fiery Red
- Clean and slice the chicken livers into halves.
- Melt two tablespoons of butter in a wok or a frying pan.
- Add chicken livers, sliced onions, thyme, salt, bay leaves and garlic and gently mix around.
- Once the ingredients have mixed well, add just enough water to cover. Bring it to simmer and reduce heat.
- Cook on low heat till livers turn pink and are cooked (this will take about 5 minutes tops).
- Remove from fire and drain the stock.
- Remove & discard bay leaves.
- Add the cooked livers to a blender and add two tablespoons of Chivas Regal. If the idea of adding scotch whiskey does not appeal you can use brandy or a cognac as well.
- Blend well adding remaining butter as you go till the butter is nicely blended and the paste is smooth.
- Check for seasoning and add half a tablespoon of black pepper and blend again.
- If you wish the pâté to be a bit spicy, add 10 dashes of Fiery Red Tabasco.
- Add to ramekins or small plastic boxes and refrigerate overnight to set firmly.
Recipe Notes for Chicken Liver Pate
- If you like livers with a milder taste, you can soak the chicken livers in milk for an hour or so before proceeding with the recipe.
- You can replace the cognac with a Chivas just as I have done.
- If you don’t have white onions available, feel free to use shallots.
Serving Suggestions for Chicken Liver Pate
- With cheese, crackers and wine
- With garlic toasties, simple toasted bread or baguette of your choice.
FINALLY, TO SUM IT UP
Chicken Liver Pâté is dangerously easy, inexpensive and luxurious. It can be easily made with butter, onions, garlic, brandy, and thyme. It is blended smooth to spread on bread or crackers.
This great hors d’oeuvre goes very well with an array of cheese and wine. It tastes magical when smeared liberally on toasted bread or crackers of all kinds too.
If you like this article, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #gosumitup and tag me @gosumitup. I am always happy to read your feedback and if you liked the dish or if you made the dish. 🙂
Better still, take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag us as #gosumitup
And, keep visiting us for more of such awesomeness. Do bookmark gosumitup.com into your web browser now or simply subscribe to our browser notifications.