Egg Mayo Sandwich or Egg Salad Sandwich - The Perfect Sandwich for Breakfast
Egg Mayo Sandwich or are also known as Egg Salad Sandwich, Egg Mayonnaise Sandwich
Egg Mayo Sandwich or Egg Mayo Sandwich that is creamy & comforting. It is substantial enough to satisfy, soft and rich without being excessive.
It has an old-fashioned subtlety of flavour, it’s a simple, but nevertheless profound pleasure. The last one I bought and eat was at Padaria Prazeres in Goa during my last Goan visit. But, this one I made for my breakfast in no time.
It serves perfectly as a breakfast and even a make-ahead lunch or dinner. This sandwich is a favourite of egg lovers, and it’s comes dressed with homemade mayonnaise. It is a recipe you should definitely try.
Is Egg Mayo Sandwich or Egg Salad Sandwich Healthy?
Find out about the nutritional value of Egg Mayo Sandwich or Salad Olivieh
Among the many benefits of the egg mayonnaise sandwich are its vitamin-mineral profile, vitamin-calcium content, vitamin-protein content with equivalent carbs.
When you make egg salad sandwich, you are sure to satisfy your hunger with low carbs and good protein content.
A delicious mix of egg mayo salad stuffed between slices of multigrain bread is both tasty and healthy.
Since eggs are boiled they provide a rich & nutritious base for the sandwich. About 12% of the daily recommended amount of protein is present in eggs so its a great way to boost your protein intake.
What is the history behind egg mayo sandwich?
Who invented the egg salad sandwich?
The origin of the sandwich is credited to John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich. But the exact origin of the egg salad sandwich is unknown. It is said that bread and meat sustained Lord Sandwich at his gambling tables.
As the story goes, Lord Sandwich was a very conversant gambler and he did not take the time to have a meal during his long hours playing at the card table.
Consequently, he would ask his servants to bring him slices of meat between two slices of bread, a habit well known among his gambling friends.
Other people, on to this account, began to order “the same as Sandwich!”, and thus the “sandwich” was born.
A 1905 British cookbook describes an “egg sandwich” made with sliced hard-boiled eggs, marinated in oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper, and garnished with minced watercress.
A popular filling snack with British troops since at least World War I, the “egg banjo” was a sandwich of a runny fried egg between two thick slices of bread
Prompted by meat rationing during World War II, manager Bruce LaPlante, once again, introduced the World War I fast food egg dish with a fried egg sandwich at a St. Louis White Castle.
However, the dish was unpopular, and was abandoned as soon as wartime meat rationing was lifted.
In a restaurant setting, it was introduced in the early 1970s by Herb Peterson, a McDonald’s franchisee in Santa Barbara, Southern California. This got called the Egg McMuffin.
How to make Egg Mayo Sandwich or Egg Salad Sandwich?
Here is an easy way to make Egg Mayo Sandwich or Egg Salad Sandwich
This sandwich starts with homemade mayonnaise, hard-boiled eggs, fresh herbs and watercress, and lastly – a hearty loaf of good-quality bread.
It only takes four ingredients to make mayonnaise at home: egg yolks, Dijon mustard, a vegetable oil, and lemon juice. This is far more delicious and healthy than store bought one. You’ll know by its texture, flavour & smell.
Then comes the bread, I recommend seeking out a really good-quality, fresh crusty loaf bread for this sandwich. You can choose from brown (that’s the one I use), white or sourdough.
Choice of bread depends on you. You can really just choose your favourite, but which type you choose will really change the mouth-feel of the sandwich.
Now mix the salad and layer it between two slices of buttered bread. To butter brown the bread or not is again your preference. Then eat. :)
What goes into Egg Mayo Sandwich?
What are the ingredients for Egg Mayo Sandwich or Russian Salad?
Boiled eggs – Soft-boiled eggs will be runnier than hardboiled eggs. I actually prefer a semi soft yolk instead of being over cooked and all chalky and dry. I add the eggs to water, bring it to boil and cook the eggs for 7 minutes.
Mayonnaise – Homemade mayonnaise is the only way to go, here is the recipe to make creamy mayonnaise at home.
I have used chives and watercress in this recipe. Chives add a delicious mild onion flavour where onion can overpower any egg salad. Adding watercress adds a subtle pepperiness to the egg salad sandwich.
Add the Tang – Choose between dijon mustard or kasundi or hot sauce or bbq sauce or even a dash of red wine vinegar. It needs to suit your taste.
Bread – While I love making my sandwich with fresh crusty loaf of brown bread, you can choose from a milk white or chewy sourdough bread that you fancy.
There is no standard thickness of the slice, you can keep it thin or thick (that I like). To brown the bread in butter is also your choice, but it does make it luscious.
Egg Mayo Sandwich | Egg Salad Sandwich
- 4 Piece Eggs
- 4 Tablespoon Mayonnaise Homemade
- ¼ Teaspoon Kasundi Bangla Mustard Paste
- ¼ Teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt Adjust to taste
- ¼ Teaspoon Back Pepper Powder Adjust to taste
- 4 Slices Brown Bread
- 1 Teaspoon Watercress Chopped or Use as is
- 1 Teaspoon Chives Finely Chopped
- 2 Tablespoon Butter Salted
- Put the eggs into a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook for a further 7 minutes from the point the water begins to boil.
- Fill a large pot with ice-cold water and when the cooking time is up, drain the eggs and place them into this ice bath. Leave the eggs to cool completely
- Butter your brown bread slices while the eggs cool down.
- Make the sauce by combining the mayonnaise, kasundi, red wine vinegar, salt and black pepper in a bowl
- When the eggs are cold tap gently on a tabletop to break the shell then peal them off.
- Dice the eggs finely on a board using a large knife.
- Mix the eggs with the sauce. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary to suit your taste.
- Layer a handful of cress on a slice of buttered bread. Place a generous amount of egg mayo filling on top of the watercress and cover with another buttered slice.
- You may want to cut the sandwich into triangles or any other shape at this point.
- Serve the egg mayo sandwich.
- Use eggs at room temperature.
- Plunge the eggs into ice-cold water once they have been boiled to stop them from cooking further.
- Butter on your sandwiches is optional. I've buttered mine, but you may feel free to avoid it.
- Homemade mayonnaise makes all the difference and is healthier, so do not avoid this.
- I have used kasundi in my egg mayo sandwiches, you may replace it with dijon mustard.
- The egg mayo filling for the sandwich can be made up to 2 days in advance. Do keep it covered and refrigerated after mixing.
- These egg mayo sandwiches can be made ahead of time (up to 24 hours). They will, however, need to be well wrapped in foil or cling film to prevent the bread from drying out.
- Store them in the fridge but bring them out 45 minutes before serving to take the chill off the bread.
- You can cut the sandwiches into squares, fingers or use a circle cookie cutter to cut rounds.
- Once you assemble the sandwich, melt some butter on a hot griddle and you can brown them on both sides to your liking.
Tools & Equipment Used For This Recipe
The image link below leads to the product on Amazon.in while on the buy now button takes you to Amazon.com respectively
Variations for Egg Mayo Sandwich or Egg Salad Sandwich
Some tips & tricks with some suggestions
Be mindful of what ingredients you’re going to add into your egg salad sandwich.
Bacon – Fry two rashers streaky bacon, let cool then chop finely before folding them into the filling
Capers – Mince 3 teaspoon of drained capers and fold them in.
Carrots – Shredded carrots will go very well in this sandwich. Adding 3 teaspoons will be good.
Gherkins – Dice a small gherkin (1.5 tablespoon) finely and mix it in.
You may want to recheck your seasoning after adding any of these. Try to avoid adding excessive gherkins or pickles, since they add a lot of additional saltiness.
Serving Suggestions for Egg Mayo Sandwich
Ways to serve Egg Mayo Sandwich or Olivier Salad.
This salad is an anytime and all time favourite all over the world. Some serving or eating suggestions follow below
- These sandwiches work for breakfast, snack, lunch or dinner.
- They are particular favourites as a savoury snack for a tea party or family gathering. Just remember to trip out the crusts. Kids just love these.
- As they taste great cold, these sandwiches also work great for a picnic
- You can serve these with French fries or potato wedges on the side.
Versatility of Egg Mayo Sandwich Filling
What are more options for filling this sandwich?
Simply stating, you can add in any vegetable you can eat raw into the filling. The most commonly used vegetables are onions, bell pepper (capsicum), carrots, cabbage, steamed sweet corn, steamed green peas, cucumber and tomatoes.
You can even add boiled potatoes, grated boiled beetroots, or boiled sweet potatoes to this filling. If you are someone who likes spicy sandwiches, then you can even add chopped green chillies & radish to the filling.
Can I Grill Egg Mayo Sandwich?
Can this Egg Sandwich be Served Hot?
Yes it can be buttered and grilled so that you can have a crispy and luscious egg sandwich!
Grilled mayonnaise sandwich is crispy and golden on the outside and has a flavourful crunchy, creamy, and lightly seasoned vegetable filling inside.
The spices such as oregano, black pepper and chilli flakes power up the overall taste of this ultimate egg mayo sandwich.
This crunchy, creamy, flavour-packed and so delicious egg salad sandwich recipe can be made with any pan or grill pan and even a sandwich maker.
FInally! To Sum It Up
Egg Mayo Sandwich recipe or Egg Mayo Sandwich recipe that is creamy comforting. It is substantial enough to satisfy, soft and rich without being excessive.
It has an old-fashioned subtlety of flavour, it’s a simple, but nevertheless profound pleasure. The last one I bought and eat was at Padaria Prazeres in Goa during my last Goan visit. This one I made for breakfast in no time.
It servers perfectly as a breakfast and even a make-ahead lunch or dinner. This sandwich is a favourite of egg lovers, and it’s comes dressed with homemade mayonnaise. Its a recipe you should definitely try.
Liked this one! Then, don't miss these recipes too
If you like this article, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #gosumitup and tag @gosumitup.
I am always happy to read your feedback and if you liked the dish or if you made the dish. :)
Better still, take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag it as #gosumitup
And, keep visiting us for more of such awesomeness. Do bookmark gosumitup.com into your web browser now or simply subscribe to our browser notifications.
This article has been compiled for general information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition/s.
This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
GoSumItUp.com has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but offers no warranty as to its accuracy or its use in any possible form.
Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of any medical condition/s. For more details please refer to our disclosure policy.