Murgh Tangdi Kabab - Chicken Drumsticks Gas Oven Tandoori
Murgh Tangdi Kabab is a chicken appetizer or a snack from the Punjabi cuisine. It consists of the tangdi or leg of the chicken or drumstick. The legs of the chicken are marinated in a spiced mixture and then grilled to perfection.
Depending on the spices and ingredients used, the tangdi kabab differ in taste and colour. Traditionally, cooked in a tandoor (clay oven), but currently, either in a skillet or oven. While we will make them in Wonderchef Gas Oven Tandoor by Chef Sanjeev Kapoor – Nice
These tandoori drumsticks are really delicious as an appetizer or a starter at social gatherings. Easy, stress-free, loved by all and an everyone pleaser.
Murgh Tangdi Kabab recipe sets the ball rolling for an array of homemade tandoori specialities. These awesome snacks have been prepared using the new acquisition – Wonderchef Gas Oven Tandoor by Chef Sanjeev Kapoor.
Tandoori spiced chicken drumsticks are grilled to juicy perfection in the gas top oven. Tangdi kebabs make great appetizers, side or main for your Indian dinner. These are spicy, juicy and succulent grilled chicken usually served with a tangy green chutney.
FOUR REASONS WHY I LOVE THESE GAS OVEN GRILLED MURGH TANGDI KABABS:
- Easy – they’re super easy to make and involve just a few simple steps! Make the marinade and marinate the chicken, cook them in the gas oven tandoor, garnish, and it’s done!
- Healthy – since there’s no skin on the chicken or deep-frying, they are super healthy and incredibly irresistible.
- Deeeeee-lish! – they are incredibly tasty and loaded with yummy explosive spices and flavours!
- Multi-purpose & flexible – great as a game-day snack, appetizer for house parties, and as a main dish if you pair it with a nice salad with a lemon dressing and some steamed rice or naan!
WHAT IS TANDOORI MURGH TANGDI KABAB?
To make tandoori chicken tangdi kebab, the chicken pieces are first marinated in spices, aromatics, and yoghurt. They are then grilled in a Tandoor oven, which is a cylinder-shaped oven made of metal or clay.
Its heat source is usually a charcoal or wood fire under it, and this allows the food to cook /grill inside the Tandoor oven. In our case, we are replacing a traditional tandoor with a gas oven tandoor.
Incisions are made on the drumsticks for the absorption of the marinade that is infused with saffron, which lends a yellowish hue and rich, delightful aroma. Addition of cashew nuts and yoghurt provides the creamy texture. And, then you tandoor it.
Before presenting, brush them with melted butter and a sprinkling of chaat masala, the drumsticks are dressed with aluminium foil for an impressive presentation. To serve simply, paired them with jeera rice, a vegetable dish and a salad for a satisfying meal.
I DON’T HAVE A GAS OVEN TANDOOR
- I must say that a gas oven tandoor is a great kitchen tool. You can buy it off Amazon if you prefer.
- You can use an electronic grill or Tandoor if you have it handy.
- You can even use a convection oven setting in your microwave.
This recipe for gas tandoor chicken drumsticks or murgh tangdi kabab is ridiculously easy to follow and make. It is really quick too if you marinate the murgh tangdi the day before you cook them!
HOW TO MAKE GAS TANDOOR CHICKEN DRUMSTICKS?
- First, combine all the ingredients for the marinade in a blender jug. Blend until everything is nice and smooth.
- Next, marinate the chicken drumsticks. (The longer you leave them in the marinade the tastier they will be!)
- Set up your gas tandoor on a hob and line up the tangdi on the tandoori tray. Remember to fill up the lower container with water. This keeps the chicken tangdi moist.
- Simply wait for 10-12 minutes till they are done.
Serve these with Dhaniya Pudina ki Chutney. Feel free to make it as mild or hot as you like – murgh tangdi kabab will taste phenomenal either way.
I’ve been obsessed ever since the first time I made them, and have been enjoying these juicy Gas Tandoor Chicken Drumsticks on a bi-weekly basis. I enjoy them with either just the dhaniya chutney, a yoghurt dip, or with some steamed rice or naan with a side salad for dinner.
THEY LOOK YUM, BUT I AM A VEGETARIAN
No worries! You can use paneer (Indian cottage cheese) cubes in this marinade too. Dice the paneer slab into 1.5-inch pieces. Marinate the paneer for 30-45 minutes or overnight for best results. Cook for just 10 minutes on the gas tandoor.
Murgh Tangdi Kebab - Chicken Tangdi Kabab - Gas Oven Tandoori Chicken Drumsticks
- 5 piece Chicken Drumsticks (मुर्ग़ टंगड़ी) Without skin
- 0.25 Cup Thick yoghurt (दही) Hang the usual homemade dahi
- 1 piece Juice of Lemon (निम्बू) Use a Medium-Sized Lemon
- 1 tablespoon Garlic (लहसुन) Smash it with mortar & pestle (Optional)
- 2 Inch Ginger (अदरक) Finely chopped or pounded
- 1 Teaspoon Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- 0.5 Teaspoon Turmeric Powder (हल्दी)
- 2 piece Green Chillies (हरी मिर्च) Finely chopped
- 0.25 cup Coriander Leaves (हरा धनिया) Fresh & finely chopped
- 2 Teaspoons Chaat Masala (चाट मसाला)
- 0.5 Tablespoon Clarified Butter or Ghee (घी)
- 0.5 Tablespoon Salt (नमक) Please adjust it to your taste
- Get your ingredients ready.
- Hang the curd if it is not a tick one already.
- Wash and dry the chicken legs.
- Make incisions on the chicken drumsticks.
- Finely chop green chillies, coriander. Pound ginger and garlic.
- Mix all the remaining ingredients except lemon juice and chaat masala into a paste.
- Coat the drumsticks thoroughly and refrigerate them for 3 hours. It is best if you can marinate them overnight.
- Heat the gas oven tandoor on your gas stove and fill up the bottom tank with some water.
- Place the marinated drumsticks on the tandoori plate.
- Cover it with the lid.
- Turn once after 10 minutes and baste them with some ghee.
- Cook for another 5 minutes. Once cooked turn off the gas and rest for 5 minutes.
- Once done, sprinkle chaat masala and lemon juice.
- Serve with sliced onions, mint & coriander chutney and lemon wedges.
- Making incisions in the drumsticks will help to permeate the marinade deep into the flesh and allow the chicken to cook quickly and evenly.
- Brush your gas oven tandoori plate with some ghee before cooking.
- It is best to marinate the chicken overnight, but 2-3 hours work too.
- Use Kashmiri Chilli powder for more redness to the drumsticks
FINALLY, TO SUM IT UP
Tandoori Tangdi kabab are Indian style grilled chicken drumsticks made with spices, yoghurt and cream. Tandoori spiced chicken drumsticks are grilled to juicy perfection in the oven.
These make a great party snack or appetiser and can also be served with an Indian meal.
If you like this article, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #gosumitup and tag me @gosumitup. I am always happy to read your feedback and if you liked the dish or if you made the dish. :)
Better still, take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag us as #gosumitup
And, keep visiting us for more of such awesomeness. Do bookmark gosumitup.com into your web browser now or simply subscribe to our browser notifications.