Health Benefits of Curry Leaves | Benefits of Kadi Patta
Health Benefits of Curry Leaves | Benefits of Kadi Patta – Curry leaves are the foliage of the curry tree (Murraya koenigii). This tree is native to India, and its leaves are used for both medicinal and culinary applications.
Curry leaves thrive in tropical and subtropical climates and should not be confused with curry powder. They’re highly aromatic and have a unique flavour with notes of citrus.
Kadi Patta are a fresh herb that comes from the curry tree (Murraya koenigii), while curry powder is a spice mix of seeds, spices, and herbs that have a different flavour altogether.
Kadi Patta should also not be mistaken for the curry plant, Helichrysum italicum, as it is unrelated.
Health Benefits of Curry Leaves | Benefits of Kadi Patta
Curry leaves provide vitamin A, vitamin B, minerals, amino acids, and alkaloids.
In India, kadi patta have been used in traditional Ayurvedic medicine since ancient times and are believed to have anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties.
Kadi Patta are rich in Vitamin A, B, C, B2 and are also known to be a very good source of iron and calcium.
The leaves can be boiled into a tonic or ground and used as a stimulant to keep the digestive system working properly and hair and skin healthy.
Culinary Applications of Curry Leaves or Kadi Patta
Curry leaves are best suited for cooked applications such as boiling, steaming, or sautéing. They are also used for tempering for several Indian dishes.
Kadi Patta are extremely aromatic and have a strong flavour that has been compared to citrus, asafoetida, anise, and lemongrass. When cooked, Curry leaves have a mild and slightly pungent bite with a nutty aroma.
They are commonly incorporated in southern and western Indian cooking and are used similar to bay leaves, although the leaves are edible after they are cooked and do not need to be removed before eating.
Kadi Patta add a bright flavour to stews, curries, soups, rice dishes, and dals. The leaves are usually stripped from the stem, fried in hot oil with other spices, and either used as a base for making a dish or poured over an already-made dish for flavour.
Health Benefits of Curry Leaves or Kadi Patta
Health benefits of curry leaves or kadi patta include providing overall immunity to the human body.
- For diabetes – Health benefits of Kadi Patta in Type 2 Diabetes. Curry leaves help your blood sugar levels by controlling the insulin activity of the body. It reduces blood sugar levels. Also, the type and amount of fibre contained within the leaves play a significant role in lowering blood sugar levels.
- Cholesterol Control – Research shows that curry leaves have properties that can help in lowering one’s blood cholesterol levels. Packed with antioxidants, curry leaves prevent the oxidation of cholesterol that forms LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol).
- A Powerful Anti-oxidant – Research has shown that curry leaves contain many compounds, including linalool, alpha-terpinene, myrcene, mahanimbine, caryophyllene, murrayanol, and alpha-pinene. Many of these compounds function as antioxidants in your body. Antioxidants play an essential role in keeping your body healthy and free from disease.
- Good for your eyesight – Traditionally, curry leaves are believed to have a beneficial effect on eyesight. They prevent the early onset of cataract. This primarily because curry leaves are rich in Vitamin A.
- For weight loss – Health benefits of curry leaves work in two ways in making you look slender. Firstly, these leaves help the body get rid of toxins and secondly, help in burning the stubborn body fat.
- For liver health – Curry leaves contain kaempferol, a potent antioxidant, and can protect the liver from oxidative stress and harmful toxins.
- For your digestive problems – People suffering from health issues like dysentery, constipation and diarrhoea, should add this wonder herb to their diets. This can improve the condition. Addition of curry leaves can also cure stomach ailments and improve metabolism.
- Immunity booster – One of the significant health benefits of Kadi Patta is that it boosts your immunity. Curry leaves have a high concentration of proteins which are considered to be the building blocks of the body. It is pivotal for the proper growth and development of the body and strengthens our immune system.
- Relieves stress – Studies show that inhaling linalool (often found in flowers and spice plants) in curry leaves reduces anxiety, stress and helps with depression. The essential oil of curry leaves is generally used to relieve the symptoms of stress. Just apply 2 to 3 drops of the oil on your pillow before you sleep. The scent of Kadi Patta calms your mind and body.
- Treats wounds and fights skin infections – Kadi patta contains very strong antioxidant properties in addition to powerful anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and antiprotozoal properties. This makes it a great home remedy to deal with common skin infections like acne and fungal infections of the nail that are often difficult to treat.
Curry leaves or kadi patta being a staple food crop in India is an extremely essential ingredient found in almost all Indian households. The aromatic flavour and high nutritional benefit make this leaf an amazing spice which can be relished as different cuisines.
Here is a simple recipe for making curry patta churna or curry leaves churan
Curry Leaves Churna | Curry Leaves Churan | Curry Leaves Powder
- 3 Cup Curry Leaves Kadi Patta
- Running water to clean
- Sun Light to dry naturally
- Clean curry leaves under running water to remove any dust or dirt.
- Leave them to dry under direct sunlight for about 12 hours.
- Grind them into a powder.
- You may want to sieve the powder to remove any hard particles or impurities
- Store for later use.
- Packed with essential vitamins, carbohydrates, fibre and volatile oils, curry leaves play a vital role in controlling diabetes, treating heart problems, preventing infections and also providing beautiful hair and skin.
- Add this powder to any curry or lentil to increase its nutritious value.
- Add it to a rice preparation.
How to consume curry patta churna or curry leaves churan:
- Consuming one spoonful of this powder with water daily on empty stomach can cause wonders in naturally treating your diabetes and reducing your blood sugar level.
- 1 spoon of curry leaf powder added to the buttermilk can be consumed to get relief from gastrointestinal troubles.
- 1 teaspoon of the powder consumed with water regularly reduces nausea and vomiting.
- Add Kadi Patta powder to any rice or lentil preparation to get a daily health benefit.
If you like this article, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #gosumitup and tag me @gosumitup. I am always happy to read your feedback and if you liked the dish or if you made the dish. 🙂
Better still, take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag us as #gosumitup
And, keep visiting us for more of such awesomeness. Do bookmark gosumitup.com into your web browser now or simply subscribe to our browser notifications.