I tested positive for CoVID-19. What do I do now?
I am sure there are lots like me who have been infected with Coronavirus Disease or have been really close to it or have someone near and dear who is in such a situation.
And, then there are millions of others who don’t want to succumb to what’s seems to be the biggest battle against mankind today.
So, what do we do to win over Coronavirus Disease?
There are just two choices really. Don’t get infected with coronavirus or if you have got it, manage it and get cured. There indeed is a lot of information floating all over.
Essentially, the approach to coronavirus prevention and the cure supposedly is the same. This is a summary of my two practical cents in very lucid terms
The moot point is to improve your immunity and fortify your health with some really simple techniques including what you eat.
I have aggregated a process that may help you stay secure from the infection and allows you to help others too.
But first of all, you need to accept coronavirus as a challenge that you need to win over. It definitely needs your positivity and a lot of discipline.
I know lot of experts have spoken volumes about all this but being a common man my suggestions are made simple for everyone and are very workable & easily achievable.
How do I protect myself while caring for someone who may have COVID-19?
Masks alone will not protect you from coronavirus. To fight it, ensure physical distancing and frequent handwashing. Here are some things to do.
- Stay in another room or be separated from the person as much as possible. Use a separate bedroom and bathroom, if available.
- Make sure that shared spaces in the home have a good airflow. If possible, open a window.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- You and the person should wear a face mask if you are in the same room.
- Do not share household items such as dishes, drinking glasses, cups, eating utensils, towels, bedding, or other items with the person who is sick.
- Wash laundry thoroughly & clean all available surfaces.
How to quarantine?
Each situation is unique and depends on who lives in the house and how vulnerable they are. When an entire family has tested positive for coronavirus at the same time, which is not uncommon, you can self-quarantine together.
All members of the household should wear masks at all times in shared spaces. With a shared bathroom, everyone should wipe down every surface with disinfectant wipes after every use.
Also, since the coronavirus has been detected in human stool, “close the WC lid before flushing”.
How to do steam inhalation?
Steam inhalation is one of the most widely used home remedies to soothe and open the nasal passages and get relief from the symptoms of a cold or sinus infection.
A study has found that steam inhalation could be an effective treatment for Covid-19 positive patients. The researchers have shown that heat can also denature the SARS-CoV-2 virion’s proteins.
Temperatures of 56 °C for 15 and 30 minutes in liquid environments, respectively, were enough to breakdown SARS-CoV and SARS-CoV-2, the researchers noted in their study published in the journal Life Sciences.
Since we anyways live in a polluted world, our nasal passages are already constricted, simple steam inhalation makes us breath easier and perhaps protects us too against CoVID-19 or Coronavirus disease.
How do I take care of my (our) food?
If infected you should avoid preparing food, if possible. If you must cook, you should prepare food only for yourself and thoroughly wipe down kitchen surfaces afterward.
Look at the infographic below. Try and add these immunity boosters to your daily diet to better yourself against coronavirus.
What should I eat?
Just to be clear – there is no magic diet that will help you against coronavirus. Here is some information about foods & drinks that may reduce fever & cold symptoms by improving your immunity.
You are looking at adding foods with protein, foods with vitamin A, C, D, E and zinc to help support your immune system.
These will boost your immunity so that getting infected my be prevented and help in a rapid recovery too. Apart from food it is important to stay hydrated and rest as much as you can.
How to plan your meals?
- Fortify your water first. You’ll need to drink this all through a day. Ingredients for the decoction are lying available in your kitchen already. The include coriander seeds, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds & carom seeds. Have a glassful before you do anything else and replace your water with this for the rest of your day. How to make – Recipe & Proportions
- Add vitamins & minerals. Use my green shot recipe and a fruit shot spaced by 30 minutes after the water intake. Make the fruit shot with two (2) cups of watermelon, half an inch (0.5) ginger and quarter (0.25) cup of fresh mint leaves. If you want add half a lemon to it as well. Have a protein filled breakfast after 20-30 after the second shot. You can also swallow 2-3 tulsi (basil) leaves with water in the morning for an immunity boost.
- For breakfast. Add cinnamon to your morning tea or coffee whatever you prefer. Boiled eggs are a good start for your breakfast. Cereals which are high in fibre and low in sugar are a good choice and are quick and easy to prepare besides being nutritious.
- For lunch. Vegetables and pulses, such as beans and lentils, is good for your health and is another good way to keep satisfied throughout the day. Moong dal works best and is simplest to prepare. Soak raw moong dal for 30 minutes & pressure cook it with garlic, asafoetida (hing), salt and three times water in proportion to moong dal. Pair it with rice or bread and a salad.
- For dinner. Soups can be a quick and easy dinner solution. Make with whatever vegetables and pulses you have available and be a good way to use up leftovers. Easiest way is to pressure cook or boil the vegetables and puree them to a soup. You should also increase the intake of garlic.
- Hydration is important. Drinking plenty of fluids throughout the day, aiming for at least 6-8 glasses, will help keep your body hydrated. Fortified water, milk, buttermilk and sugar free drinks, including tea and coffee all count.
How to monitor your oxygen levels?
COVID-19 or coronavirus often negatively impacts how well oxygen is transferred into your bloodstream, but a patient doesn’t always feel short of breath when their oxygen levels are low.
You can monitor the percentage of oxygen in their blood using a pulse oximeter, a relatively inexpensive device that comfortably clamps onto a finger.
A reading of 97% or higher is considered healthy. If you have a reading of 96% or lower, you should contact a doctor.
How to breathe comfortably?
To ease breathing, you need to sleep or lying on the stomach. This process is called proning.
If possible, you should get up and move around once an hour, as lying in bed for long periods can cause back pain and stiffness.
How to heal faster?
For a mild exercise and absorbing vitamin D from sunlight, you need to get outside once a day for as little as 15 minutes. However, please do avoid public spaces so that you are safe from coronavirus.
Performing yoga could also help you achieve greater success in fighting the novel coronavirus as yoga boosts the immune system.
Is There Something More That Has Worked for You?
If you like this article, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #gosumitup and tag @gosumitup.
I am always happy to read your feedback and if you liked the dish or if you made the dish. :)
Better still, take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag it as #gosumitup
Connect direct – You can also connect with me directly on my Instagram and Facebook or on Pinterest.
And, keep visiting us for more of such awesomeness. Do bookmark gosumitup.com into your web browser now or simply subscribe to our browser notifications.
This article has been compiled for general information only and should not be used for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition/s.
This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
GoSumItUp.com has used all reasonable care in compiling the information but offers no warranty as to its accuracy or its use in any possible form.
Consult a doctor or other health care professional for diagnosis and treatment of any medical condition/s. For more details please refer to our disclosure policy.
Well done very informative easy to read….. Simple language…. All natural ingredients for improving the fight against Covid…. Thanks for sharing….
1. Keep persistent contact with a doctor if you develop fever. That doctor may preferably be one who could treat you in a hospital if things get worse.
2. Contact Dr. if pulse oximetry is less than 92%.
3. Never ignore to get tested once fever develops.
4. Natural sunlight would increase Vit D levels very slowly. I would recommend Vit D sachet instead.
Much appreciated. Thank you Dr. Pankaj Malik:)