Thai Chicken in Green Curry Recipe or Gang Kiew Wan Gai Recipe - Creamy & Delicious
Thai Chicken in green curry recipe or Gang Kiew Wan Gai recipe is a real classic. This Thai green chicken curry recipe is easy and delicious, perfect for a quick lunch or dinner.
This easy green curry is made with chicken, coconut milk, fresh herbs, and lime. You’ll have a stunning Thai chicken in Green Curry to admire, smell, and taste!
Thai Chicken in Green Curry is great and delicious for quick weeknight dinners. It is super fragrant, and guaranteed to warm you up with its spicy creamy deliciousness! It is also extremely easy to make and naturally gluten-free and dairy-free.
Feel free to customize it and make it vegetarian (or vegan) by adding your favourite vegetables. Or, you can use your favourite protein (tofu shrimp, pork, beef, etc.).
One of my absolute favourite Thai dishes is Thai Green Chicken Curry. But I hardly ever order it at restaurants because it’s super easy to make at home. I rather try other dishes that aren’t my speciality while dining out!
To be honest, I love all types of Thai curries. Give me creamy spicy Penang curry, bold and bright Red curry, or peanutty cream-y-licious Massaman curry and I’m a happy bunny!
But I have a super soft spot for Thai green curry because of its killer sweet fragrance and the fact that it’s spicier than most other Thai curries. 😍
WHAT IS THAI GREEN CURRY?
I think anyone that has tried Thai food knows what Thai green curry is. You’ve probably seen it on menus at Thai restaurants and possibly have even ordered it.
But for those who need a little info, it’s a curry that’s spicy and sweet and made with Thai green curry paste. The curry paste gets its green colour from cilantro stems and roots as well as green chillies.
But it’s also made up of other ingredients such as kaffir lime peel, lemongrass, galangal, coriander seeds, garlic, black peppercorns, and shrimp paste.
These ingredients are all smashed together in a mortar with a pestle to form a green curry paste. Protein is added, chicken, in this case, to make Thai Chicken in Green Curry.
Thai Chicken in Green Curry - Creamy & Delicious
- 500 gram Chicken breasts Without skin. Boneless is better.
- 4 tablespoon Peanut Oil
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Fresh & finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Fresh & finely chopped
- 400 ml Coconut Milk Real Thai - 1 Can
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 2 piece Galangal Dry Thai Root Ginger
- 5 piece Kaffir Lime Leaves
- 10 piece Thai Basil
- 10 piece Cherry Tomatoes
- 2 piece Potatoes Cubed
- 5 piece Mushrooms Quartered
- 5 piece Babycorn Sliced
- 1 Teaspoon Fish Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 0.5 teaspoon Salt Adjust it to your taste
- 2 teaspoon Homemade Chilli Oil
- Get your ingredients ready.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan or pot over medium-high heat.
- Fry garlic & ginger for a minute.
- Add the Thai Green Curry paste.
- Mix in 100 ml of coconut milk and reserve the rest.
- Blend well till fragrant and add potatoes, kaffir lime leaves and galangal.
- Add Thai basil, chicken, baby corns, mushrooms and cherry tomatoes.
- Now add the remaining coconut milk and half cup of water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the flame to medium-low and simmer till well cooked. Add sugar and salt.
- Check for seasoning and add fish sauce.
- Garnish with some Thai basil, red chillies and homemade chilli oil (if you like it really really spicccccy).
- Remove from flame and serve hot with boiled rice.
CHICKEN IN THAI GREEN CURRY RECIPE – IMPORTANT RECIPE NOTES
- The key to good chicken in Thai green curry recipe is in not only using the right ingredients but also knowing when to add them.
- To allow for faster cooking use smaller pieces of chicken.
- When taste-testing, add 1 to 2 tablespoons fish sauce if not salty or flavourful enough.
- If you’d prefer a sweeter curry, add a little more sugar to the chicken in Thai green curry recipe.
- If too salty, add a squeeze of lime or lemon juice.
- If too spicy, add some more coconut milk.
- This curry should be a balance of salty, spicy, sweet, and sour.
CAN I MAKE A VEGETARIAN THAI GREEN CURRY?
Yes! Simply avoid the chicken and add more vegetables of your choice with mushrooms and potato. You can add beans, peas, sweet potatoes and egg plants. Avoid the fish sauce and use light soy instead.
The great thing about curries, which is totally different in this context than ‘curry powder’ and here I mean of mixture of vegetables and protein in a sauce, is that you can add whatever vegetables or legumes you like.
FINALLY, TO SUM IT UP
Don’t call the local takeaway – impress friends and family by cooking this fragrant and creamy Thai green chicken curry or Gang Kiew Wan Gai. It’s easy and quick to make.
This Thai chicken in green curry recipe or Gang Kiew Wan Gai is easy and delicious, perfect for a quick lunch or dinner.
If you like this article, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #gosumitup and tag me @gosumitup. I am always happy to read your feedback and if you liked the dish or if you made the dish. :)
Better still, take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag us as #gosumitup
And, keep visiting us for more of such awesomeness. Do bookmark gosumitup.com into your web browser now or simply subscribe to our browser notifications.