Dahi Tamater ka Gosht Recipe - A Delicious Lamb Curry
Dahi Tamater ka Gosht Recipe – A Delicious Lamb Curry – If you are craving for lamb curry, this is what you want. You can make this mutton curry recipe on the stovetop or in the pressure cooker. Whatever you choose, slowly cooking the lamb or mutton is the key to tender lamb in this dish.
What is the best cut of lamb for a curry?
I usually use lamb chunks carved out of the leg or shoulder for dahi tamatar ka gosht lamb curry because of the additional flavour and marrow goodness you extract from the bones. By the end of cooking the meat just falls off the bones making it very easy to pick out the bones before serving.
The Secret Behind a Great Mutton Curry
Buy the right kind of meat – Always buy freshly butchered meat from a young lamb. The meat is pinkish in colour and not brown. Look at the mutton fibres. If they are broken or loose, that basically means poor quality meat.
Cook the mutton really slow: The secret is in cooking the mutton curry really slow. Both the legs and the shoulders of a young lamb get plenty of exercises, which makes the meat much more flavorful. It also makes it tougher.
Marinate it well: Mutton also become more tender when marinated with raw papaya and curd. The longer you do this, the better it is. Same is achieved by using lemon and nutmeg. but this changes the taste of the lamb.
The acidic medium in a good marinade helps to break down the collagen between the fibre muscles that hold the meat together. A breakdown of these fibres makes the meat in the mutton curry tender.
Salt the meat – Rubbing salt on meat is an effective way to break the muscle fibres down. Salt and leave it for a couple of hours. Before cooking simply rub the excess salt off.
The Dahi Tamater ka Gosht Recipe Story
I admit that we really are a red meat-loving family. If we do not get a good helping of Indian mutton curry at least twice in a week, we have severe withdrawal symptoms.
Our Punjabi style homemade mutton curries are usually with thin & runny curry and can be eaten with equal relish with either roti or rice. I today bring to you my Dahi Tamater ka Gosht Recipe, an Indian mutton curry which is cooked regularly in our home.
Dahi Tamater ka Gosht recipe or Mutton in Yoghurt & Tomato Curry involves cooking lamb or mutton in a gravy made with tomatoes & curds. This lamb curry is delicately spiced and very fragrant. You can also vary the level of spices to your taste.
A well-done mutton curry recipe is best done when slow-cooked, however, due to paucity of time I have resorted to the use of pressure cooking toward the end of the recipe.
At the end of it, the succulent rich lamb curry with melt in the mouth mutton is just what you need to wrap up a long hard day at work.
Here you go with my lamb curry or Dahi Tamater ka Gosht recipe. Hope you enjoy making it and relish eating it with your family :)
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cooking time: 1.5 hours
- Cooking Gizmos: Pressure Cooker
- Serves: 3
Dahi Tamatar ka Gosht, Mutton Curry with Yoghurt & Tomatoes Gravy
- 500 gram Mutton Fresh from the leg or shoulder
- 3 piece Onions medium sized puree’d
- 3 piece Tomatoes medium sized puree’d
- 4 tbsp Vegetable Oil I use Rice Bran oil
- 3 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste Fresh works best
- 1 piece Black Cardamom
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 4 piece Cloves
- 1 piece Bay Leaf
- 1.5 tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 0.5 tbsps Black Pepper Powder
- 1 cup Yoghurt or Curds Home made works very well
- 0.5 tbsp Garam Masala Home made works very well
- 1.5 tbsp Ghee
- 0.5 tsp Salt To taste
- Add and fry onion puree for around 9 minutes or till the onions leave oil.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for 5 minutes or till their raw smell goes away.
- Add the mutton and fry with this masala for about 12-15 minutes turning every two minutes or so. Add the salt here to seal the juices of mutton within.
- Add a cup of water to remaining half of the curds and add to the cooking mutton. Cover the pressure cooker with the lid and wait for 4 whistles. This should take about 10 minutes or so.
- Once the pressure releases by itself, add 0.5 cups of warm water, garam masala and ghee. Put the lid back on and give it another two whistles.
- Remove from fire and let the pressure release by itself.
- Serve Dahi Tamater ka Gosht hot with aromatic basmati rice or freshly made rotis.
To Sum It Up - Dahi Tamater ka Gosht Recipe - A Delicious Lamb Curry
Dahi Tamatar ka Gosht is a delectable dish, which is cooked in a tomato & curds based gravy and seasoned to perfection with a melange of aromatic spices.
Dahi Tamatar ka Gosht or Indian mutton curry is not too high on spice, but the amazing flavours of this dish will woo your taste buds.
If you like this dahi tamatar gosht recipe, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #gosumitup and tag me @gosumitup. I am always happy to read your feedback and if you liked the dish or if you made the dish. :)
Better still, take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag us as #gosumitup
And, keep visiting us for more of such awesomeness. Do bookmark gosumitup.com into your web browser now.