Spicy Mutton Curry or Lamb Curry Recipe
Spicy Mutton Curry or Lamb Curry is a dish of slow-cooked lamb in a spicy gravy. This Indian style mutton curry recipe is a step by step guide to cook really flavorful & tender lamb that is succulent & delicious. Serve lamb curry with rice or naan or any bread.
Mutton Curry is prepared from Goat Meat and vegetables. Mainly popular in the Punjab region, the dish is found in different variations across all states, countries and regions of South Asia.
How to make mutton curry at home?
If you are a fan of spicy dishes, then here is a delicious dish that you must try at home. Punjabi Mutton Curry is a succulent dish that has tender meat and goes well with all Indian bread such as plain roti, butter roti and even naan. All meat lovers love to dig into this curry.
In India, mutton often refers to goat meat instead of sheep. It is cooked in numerous delicious ways. This simple, yet delicious version of goat curry or mutton curry is also easy to put together, and you can use goat meat or sheep.
Spicy Mutton Curry Recipe
It was one of those days when Dad wanted to eat a simple mutton curry and so did Sidhant. However, between Dad and Mom, neither wanted to do it. So, 500 grams of mutton was promptly deposited on my table and with a demand for spicy mutton curry.
I wanted to do something snappy, spicy and fragrant which went well with rice which is usually present on our lunch table. Today, I worked with powdered spices, steered clear of whole spices and added a twist at the end.
The resultant was major appreciation during lunch, where Dad actually said that the spicy mutton curry was better than the way he makes it.
If you are a fan of spicy dishes, then here is a delicious dish that you must try at home. Spicy mutton curry is a succulent Punjabi dish that has tender meat. It goes well with all Indian bread such as tandoori roti, butter roti and even garlic naan.
All meat lovers love to dig in this quintessential spicy mutton curry recipe as it has everything. Prepared in desi ghee with onions, tomatoes, mutton and yoghurt, this mouth-watering non-vegetarian recipe is a true delicacy.
Loaded with flavours, you can easily say that dish is just like a local offering for anyone visiting the villages of Punjab.
Let’s see what you have to say about my spicy mutton curry recipe. Do also check out Sum Ka Mutton.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 35 minutes or so
- Cooking Gizmos: Pressure cooker in working order
- Serves: 3 easily
Spicy Mutton Curry or Lamb Curry Recipe
- 500 grams Lamb meat on the bone Leg or shoulder
- 4 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 3 Piece Onions Medium-sized, Coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoon Tomato Puree I used Dabur
- 4 tablespoon Ginger Garlic Paste I used Smith & Jones
- 0.5 tablespoon Red Chili Powder
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Powder
- 0.25 tablespoon Turmeric
- 0.5 tablespoon Black Pepper Powder
- 0.5 teaspoon Salt
- 0.5 tablespoon Garam Masala
- 1.5 tablespoons Ghee
- Wash and clean the lamb chunks. Set aside.
- Mix the powdered spices (red chillies, turmeric, coriander, black pepper powder & salt) with some water and make a paste. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a pressure cooker.
- When hot add onions and saute till they become soft and translucent. No need to brown completely. Takes about 3 minutes or so.
- Add tomato puree and fry for about 5 minutes. Remove from fire and blend into a paste.
- Add 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in and add the paste. Fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry till the raw smell of ginger and garlic goes away.
- Add the meat and mix it well with the frying masala for about 10 minutes on medium flame.
- Add the paste made with powdered spices and mix well. Add 1 cup of water and close the lid of the pressure cooker. Increase the heat to high and let it cook till the pressure whistle goes off four times.
- Keep aside to let the pressure release by itself.
- Once the pressure releases, open the pressure cooker and add garam masala and ghee. Correct the salt if needed.
- Close the pressure lid again and give it one more whistle.
- All done. Your spicy mutton curry is ready. Serve with rice and a smile on your face. Enjoy!
- Almost any cut of lamb can be used for lamb stews and curries, but the shoulder is best.
- Ensure, mutton pieces are cut into the same size, this helps in cooking the cuts throughout evenly.
- Modify the number of spices as per your preferences. Some people like it heavy on spices and chillies and some don't.
- Always, sear the meat pieces on high flames for 2-3 minutes. This seals the juices inside the meat.
- Once the masala is ready, add water as per the consistency of gravy you love to eat.
FINALLY, TO SUM IT UP
Mutton curry or Lamb curry is a dish of slow-cooked lamb in a spicy gravy. This Indian style mutton curry recipe is a step by step guide to cook really flavourful & tender lamb that is succulent & delicious. Serve lamb curry with rice or naan or any bread.
If you like this article, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #gosumitup and tag me @gosumitup. I am always happy to read your feedback and if you liked the dish or if you made the dish. 🙂
Better still, take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag us as #gosumitup
And, keep visiting us for more of such awesomeness. Do bookmark gosumitup.com into your web browser now or simply subscribe to our browser notifications.