Chicken Ham Ricotta Sandwich Recipe
This Chicken Ham Ricotta Sandwich is quick and easy to make, and loaded with sweet, spicy and slightly tangy flavours!
Load up this tasty chicken ham with kasundi mustard in a couple of multigrain bread slices with your favourite toppings for an easy light breakfast.
How to make ricotta cheese for the sandwich?
In the culinary world, there is an unwritten rule that comes from thousands of years of practice and experience: don’t throw anything away that you don’t have to.
Ricotta is a classic example. This soft, sweet, white cheese is made from what is left over after making other cheeses. Strictly speaking, ricotta is not really considered a cheese, but a latticino—which means a dairy by-product—just as cow or buffalo milk mozzarellas are.
Basically ricotta is made from whey—that is, the watery liquid that remains after cow, sheep or goat cheese is made. In recent years, even buffalo ricotta can be found in the Campania and Puglia regions, where buffalo mozzarella is produced.
Used in abundance all over Italy, ricotta—in all its various forms—has played an important part in Italian cucina for centuries. Here is a ricotta cheese recipe for making homemade ricotta.
Chicken Ham Ricotta Sandwich works well because it is;
- Quick and easy to make. We’re talking 10 minutes tops! So, obviously no fuss.
- Spicy, sweet, and has just the right amount of tanginess and sharpness! 😋
- Creamy. Thanks to smooth ricotta cheese, which is possibly my favourite cheese on this planet! Of course so is Feta and so is Goat’s Cheese. ❤️
- Flexible. You can add any of your favourite nuts, seeds, and herbs as you like. And you can use whatever type of bread and sandwich toppings that you like.
- Downright delicious! 😍
Mixing the classic Chicken Ham and Ricotta ingredients into a bowl just enough for myself; spreading it eagerly onto the multigrain bread and buttering both sides was way too much excitement happening in one morning. Two slices of toasted multi grain bread and a few slices of ham chicken later, I had an easy, breezy breakfast sandwich.
Overall, this ricotta cheese specialty is like a cheese-stuffed shell, but in a sandwich! Take the Italian classic to a new level with creamy Ricotta cheese and chicken ham with a touch of Bengali mustard. This is sandwich to please every kid’s palate. So go for it. Let’s make some!
CHICKEN HAM RICOTTA SANDWICH INGREDIENTS
- Chicken Ham – Buy a good quality chicken ham. You can also use your leftover chicken after deboning it.
- Kasundi – Kasundi is a protein-rich, spicy relish made from mustard seeds. To give your sandwich a little more oomph, you can even use mango kasundi.
- Fresh Herbs: Feel free to use any other herbs and/or nuts you like.
- For the sandwiches: Bread of your choice. I used a multigrain bread here, which is my usual. and your favourite
- Sandwich Toppings – I didn’t use any but you can choose from lettuce/salad greens, sliced tomato, onion, cucumber, etc.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN HAM RICOTTA SANDWICH?
Alright! Let’s break it down and make this delicious Chicken Ham and Ricotta Sandwich! Simply…
- Slice the chicken ham if you didn’t get the slices.
- Toast the bread and butter it liberally.
- Layer ricotta on one slice and place the ham
- Layer kasundi
- Close the sandwich with the second slice.
- Barely simple.
- Now eat up :-)
VARIATIONS FOR CHICKEN HAM RICOTTA SANDWICH
If you would like to customise the Chicken Ham Ricotta Sandwich, you can…
- Chicken Ham – Mix the kasundi with any leftover chicken you have. Or, you can use chicken salamis that you like.
- Oomph – Use mango kasundi for that extra flavour
- Add additional/different fresh herbs: Chopped fresh chives, Italian basil leaves, mint leaves, etc. would all taste great
- Add seeds/nuts: Add sesame seeds, slivered or sliced almonds, pine nuts, chopped walnuts, etc. if desired.
- You can pan fry the bread with butter in a frying pan rather than toasting it. The flavour will be diagonally different but still more than awesome.
- Spike it up – Mix some finely chopped green chillies garlic & ginger to the ricotta.
- Make it healthier – You can use reduced-fat ricotta and go easy on butter especially if you pan-frying the bread.
- Don’t have ricotta cheese – Substitute it with Feta or Goat’s Cheese. Don’t have these two either, use cheese slices to get a passable sandwich. No harm done.
FINALLY, TO SUM IT UP
If you like this article, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #gosumitup and tag me @gosumitup. I am always happy to read your feedback and if you liked the dish or if you made the dish. :)
Better still, take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag us as #gosumitup
And, keep visiting us for more of such awesomeness. Do bookmark gosumitup.com into your web browser now or simply subscribe to our browser notifications.