Kokum Syrup Recipe | Kokam Syrup | Aamsol Syrup
Homemade Kokum Syrup Recipe | Kokam Syrup | Aamsol Syrup – Kokum or Garcinia Indica is a fruit which is famous for its healthy and refreshing cool drink. Kokum juice is not only delicious but it also has several health benefits.
Kokum is a rich source of powerful anti-oxidant vitamin C in the form of citric acid, malic acid, acetic acid, ascorbic acid, hydro citric acid and hydroxycitric acid.
Garcinol is the major active ingredient of Kokum and it has antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-carcinogenic and anti-inflammatory properties.
It does not contain cholesterol or saturated fats. It is low in calories and rich in dietary fibres. Fresh Kokum fruit highly contains B-complex vitamins. Let’s look at how to make homemade kokum syrup.
Kokum in Ayurveda
Ayurvedic physicians have long used kokum to treat sores, prevent infection, improve digestion, alleviate diarrhea and constipation, lessen arthritis pain, cure ear infections and heal stomach ulcers.
Kokum is a purple berry which has been long used in Ayurveda to prevent infection, treat sores, cure ear infections, heal stomach ulcers, improve digestion, lessen arthritis pain and alleviate diarrhea & constipation.
Health benefits of kokum are good for people dealing with bowel problems, ear infections, sores, menstruation delays, intestinal parasites and inflammatory issues.
Kokum Syrup Recipe, How to Make Homemade Kokum Syrup
Kokum has tremendous cooling properties and its beverages are a great summer cooler and a digestive. Kokum is also known as the “Indian Butter Tree” and is a fruit-bearing tree. All parts of Kokum i.e., (fruits, peels and seeds) have plenty of health benefits.
The dried peel of the fruit is used as a flavouring agent in curries.
The best way to consume it is to make a sherbet out of it. However, to be able to sip this nectar, you first need to make kokam syrup. So let’s get cracking and make some aamsol syrup.
Indications to make Kokum Syrup
Kokum Syrup | Kokam Syrup or Aamsol Syrup Recipe
- First, measure 200 gram of dried kokum and keep aside.
- Then, boil 2 cups of water in a saucepan and temper it down with 2 cups of normal water.
- Next, soak kokum in this water for a minimum of 2 hours. Though, for full extraction of flavour, I tend to soak it overnight.
- After this, drain and save the water with extraction and give the soaked hokum a good whizz in the food processor.
- Add this to a pan with 1 cup of saved water and bring it to a boil.
- Next, add 2 cups of sugar and dissolve well.
- Further, add 2 cups of roaster cumin (jeera) powder, 1 tablespoon of cardamom powder, and 1 tablespoon of black salt.
- Bring this to a boil and ensure the sugar has melted completely and the mix has attained a syrup-like consistency.
- Finally, sieve this through a muslin cloth or a fine strainer. Kokum syrup is ready and we are ready to make kokum sherbet.
FINALLY, TO SUM IT UP
Homemade Kokum Syrup Recipe | Kokam Syrup | Aamsol Syrup – Kokum or Garcinia Indica is a fruit which is famous for its healthy and refreshing cool drink.
Kokum juice is not only delicious but it also has several health benefits. It does not contain cholesterol or saturated fats. It is low in calories and rich in dietary fibres.
Fresh Kokum fruit highly contains B-complex vitamins. This is the recipe to to make homemade kokum syrup.
If you like this article, you can let us know in the comments below or on social media using #gosumitup and tag me @gosumitup. I am always happy to read your feedback and if you liked the dish or if you made the dish. 🙂
Better still, take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag us as #gosumitup
And, keep visiting us for more of such awesomeness. Do bookmark gosumitup.com into your web browser now or simply subscribe to our browser notifications.